Monday 19 May 2008

Sisters

I didn't really get to know my sister until we were older. Yes, we lived in the same house and have the same biology but circumstances prevented us from being friends.

That said, she is part of a few of my favorite memories as an adult. She went with me on my first "not really a date" with Dearest Husband (ok, to be fair, she threw rocks at him and lost his fishing equipment but still.....she was 11 years old). She stood by me at my wedding. She's been a good aunt to my Lil'Bug. She's stood by me many other times as well. She's a neat person and I wish I had known her better growing up.

What I hope for my daughters is a little bit more. I hope that they know each other early and love each other dearly. I want them to enjoy each other and play together.

So, here's to you Aunt Bee. We've had to work at the whole sister thing but it has been well worth it! The picture is from 10 years ago. She was in a Midsummer's Night Dream and I somehow got caught in a photo backstage with her! Aunt Bee is on the left.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I'm reading you blog now, and thought I might hear the big news before I leave town -- what a weekend you and your family had!

    I loved your piece on sisters. I have six of them (along with two brothers) and I'm the oldest. Given the nature of our upbringing, I had a parental sort of relationship with them for a long time, and now, I am just one of the sisters, and it has been wonderful to transition into that role.

    You still look the same as you did when that picture was taken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the oldest of our brood too. I think that comes through a bit when she's in crisis; I'm not a very good listener and I want to parent her!

    :) I am certainly healthier now than then. Also, I used to wear a LOT of make up. Strange to think about it now.

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.