Saturday 31 May 2008

Breastfeeding, Magic Milk

Warning to relatives: this post will contain human anatomy details you may not want to know about me!

******

Breastfeeding isn't easy, at least for me. It may have seemed like that with Lil"bug, but the first six weeks were really hard. We saw the lactation consultant more than friends and family during that time. I tried every gadget known to Medela. Ultimately some things worked and some just drained my confidence. Some of those gadgets are so dehumanizing.

This time, Blueberry has a voracious latch BUT my nipples are still inverted (which means they pop in instead of out). She can't really get a mouth full. Luckily when the engorgement of milk coming in came- I'd just squirt her mouth full over and over, use the breast pump to keep high production, and called it good. That got us out of the hospital with minimum concern from the nurses. Still she was frustrated at every feeding and that is not good.

The thing is, I knew that when that phase calmed down we'd both be in trouble and she would not have learned to latch properly. I have a postpartum doula coming soon, but not soon enough. So in a quiet moment in the middle of the night I decided to get another set of silicon breast shields. I remembered that Lil'Bug learned how to latch using these and at 6 weeks old she had the hang of it, how much she was supposed to suck and how hard, and it was a good 3 years more after that.

I was right. I just fed Blueberry the best, longest feeding she has ever done. No crying, no head nodding trying to get a mouthful, no arching back. 30 minutes of continuous, productive latch with good suction.

I hate using plastic, but really, this is working. I wonder how many moms have given up either not knowing about the aid or intimidation from hospital staff about starving their babies. With Lil'Bug that last factor contributed to the start of my postpartum depression. This time, I actually rolled my eyes at one of the nurses. When they warned me about how I'd have to supplement, I responded, "Or I could pump breast milk and feed the measurable amounts to her, right?" Yes. So why exactly, in my situation, would formula be even mentioned. Gah.

That said, my babes are lucky I am so stubborn.

8 comments:

  1. Yes they are lucky!!!
    We had the same inversion problem and I spent a year attached to that awful pump (well 2 pumps, the first one I smashed to bits in a rare moment of frustration :) I'm so glad for both of you she's got it worked out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you posted this: I was wondering how nursing was going. I was thinking of you today while I was gardening. Glad things continue to go so well will little Blueberry. How is Big Sis doing?
    Hugs,
    LB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! Way to be stubborn.

    I gave up trying to get the hospitals to hand out the LLL phone number a long time ago. However, if you need help before the PP Doula comes, please consider calling their hotline. The area leaders who I know are all super nice and are generally willing to come out to your house and help if needed.

    I used to have inverted nipples, but Wally took care of that at some point. My breasts don't even look like the ones I grew up with at this point. (Unfortunately, they're still as small as the ones I grew up with, so I know they're still mine.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Laura! Thank you again for the cool diaper. I'm going to post about it very soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Was inverted here, also. That is part of why I couldn't nurse Liv longer than I did-and the hospital staff and lactation consultants actually made the situation worse. The shield hindered us. Asher didn't have any prob, those puppies popped right out. LMK if you need anything-even a real, live cheerleader, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never had that problem, but I am not at all surprised that the nursing staff would push formula. Thank goodness for stubborn mommas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. They really do push formula. Breast milk is best. That's all there is to it. I wouldn't let them give J formula at the hospital, even when they threatened to keep him there if I wouldn't bottle feed. I told them I would pump and feed it to him in a bottle until he could take it from my breast. I actually had a nurse tell me that I would not breast feed this time. The nerve of some people. I wish I would've been this stubborn the first time around.

    Doesn't that first good feeding feel grand? I always feel like I can do about anything at that moment.

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.