Friday 16 May 2008

Greening Up

Every year I am surprised how all of a sudden all the trees have green on them and poof it is summer. This year I resolved to make a point to watch EVERY day and see if it really did happen in one day.

Yes and no.

I watched as the dead browns and greys turned a hazy yellow on the horizon. I watched as the yellow gave way to a very light green, still sparse. Still, some other spots turned purple (red buds) and some exploded with white blossoms and then released the petals like snow. The maples were a deep, deep red-purple. The oak trees, tall and ancient, were the last to even think of greening, standing skeletal until the very end.

Then today, everything is green. The leaves are dark green, full, and soaking up the sunshine. Part of me was a little worried that by stalking the greening up of Spring I would ruin some of the magic.

There is no better magic for the soul than paying attention to the natural world. It may not happen overnight, but the beauty is slow and graceful and takes the time it takes. It is that simple. Few things in nature actually happen overnight. Most, germinate and swell and slowly dance before unfolding. Much needs coaxing, rain, wind, sun, warm, the earth spinning, moonlight, and time.

So as I sit in my kitchen or out in the yard, full of life ready to burst, I have to just simply reflect that nature takes it's time with all things.

2 comments:

  1. "standing skeletal until the very end"

    Beautiful phrase, very inspiring..... I think theres a piece of art there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post.
    I wish I had written something like this the last couple of weeks.
    xo

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.