Monday 5 May 2008

Lil'Bug Update

Lil'Bug read her first words last week.

We were out in the garden working on the raised bed when she pointed and read this:

Cool. She read COW! She also picked up a book at the book store and asked to buy it. I said, "Sure, if you can tell me what it is called."

"Space. Mom, it says Space right here," she pointed to the cover title.

So now she is the proud owner of a book about space and a bag of cow poop. :) She asked to keep it a secret for a while, but finally relented to letting me blog about it. For those of you who don't know, we do not do active reading/writing lessons. We read to her a lot. She HATES the ABC song and people quizzing her on the alphabet, so we don't. She knows her letters though and can write most of them when she wants to. I suspected she was reading when I heard her screaming at Super Why last week that they got the wrong answer AGAIN, but I did not push her on it.

She will and is now reading at her own pace. She does it for curiosity and not performance. She is growing and learning naturally.

2 comments:

  1. That is so great and even greater that her motivations are her own and not just for attention. (So I won't ruin it by mentioning what a big girl accomplishment that is and how proud she should be of herself.....of course, I'm banking on her not reading this blog for a little while yet!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I really had to restrain my joyful demonstration of how proud I was! I really wanted to jump and scream and cry, but I know that would freak her out and she was already wanting to keep it a secret.

    :)

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.