Wednesday 21 May 2008

Diapers and Such

I got my pocket diapers this week and a Moby Wrap on clearance. I have two ring slings, but I wanted another style to play with.

But first, the diapers. This time we are going cloth. Why? Have you ever felt a disposable? Very plastic-y. A contrast to the softness of a wee babe's skin. PLUS- Disposables are really expensive. The off-brands gave Lil'Bug hideous, bloody rashes, so we always had to buy the super expensive kind, even in bulk, it adds up. We are trying to cut costs where we can. The initial investment is offset by the fact that we are not replacing some of the plastic mainstream items and that we kept what we did use (swing, exersaucer, highchair). Also, the initial investment is nothing compared to what we paid in diapers the first 6 months with Lil'Bug. Goodness, could that little baby poop!

Pocket diapers are funny little things. They have an outside, breathable, waterproof cover, fleece inside and then a pocket between the two. In that pocket goes an absorbent insert. Why not just sew the insert in? Well, if left in (called an All In One Diaper) it takes a really long time to dry after washing and only one option for absorbency. So with the removable insert, faster dry times and you can upgrade the stuffer if the babe is a heavy wetter. Very cool.

Aren't they pretty? :) I am excited to use them. The style we got adjusts with the size of the baby, so one batch is all we'll need until potty training- newborn through 35 pounds. At 16$ a piece, that's not so bad! That's why we went with this model over others, the cost savings in sizes. I wanted to buy handmade from a local WAHM, but the size flexibility made this investment doable for us. However, I did buy 12 traditional prefolds with a fleece cover as a back up diapering option from her. There may come a time we need such back ups! LOL. Also, prefolds are really versatile as changing pads, burp clothes, etc.

7 comments:

  1. Just to note, many people find that the one-size diapers are more like an extended medium, not quite small enough for newborn, potentially not big enough for older kids. I've never used a one-size myself, but that's the overwhelming feedback from folks in the CD group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. May I ask where you got the clearanced moby wrap at?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure. I got it from the Stork Wearhouse. Louisa knoew I was interested in one but didn't want to pay sooooo much for a bolt of fabric. One got returned so she called me. I paid 25$? Perhaps that still was too much for a bolt of fabric, but I got a lesson on how to wear it and the book, etc. I have found that very helpful. It's a plain sage green, I would have liked something a bit more fun BUT I like the feel of the material.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is an interesting thought on the one size. My hope is that we don't do into toddlerhood. Lil'Bug was big as a newborn, June Bug might be too. What my hope is....she's only in diapers for a year. The investment was still worth it AND I can sell them used when done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are there good baby stores around there? I've considered using cloth with this one but the thought of rinsing them...I don't know!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was worried too BUT we put our changing table in the bathroom AND we are trying out flushable liners in the diapers- the theory there is that you lift those out poop and all and just flush away. No rinsing.

    Also, the local cloth diaper mama say that breast milk poop doesn't need to be rinsed and will launder out. So 6 months old + when solid food turns to solidish poop, then its just a matter of dumping not rinsing......

    ReplyDelete
  7. To clear up the confusion in my own post:

    http://www.thestorkwearhouse.com/cloth-diaper-liners.htm#biosoft

    The diaper liners are not plastic.

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.