Tuesday 5 February 2008

Making

Making progress:

I am experiencing quite a bit of anxiety over the Wii purchase. Sure, we made the decision for all the right reasons.....BUT.....

I grew up in a house with video games and violence and heartache.

I banished video games from my home because it was easier than looking at the big picture. Until this week I never explored this in my processing. I have always just said to myself, not in my home. I never related that we all had our coping strategies to deal with our childhood violent and unpredictable household.

My banishment of gaming is no less of a control issue. In reality games are a tool and we have worked hard to create a loving, gentle home. So I released that anxiety. I am also a little sad about the memories I explored today for meaning, but a little sad is way better than freaked out anxiety + 20 anger.

Tea time! Move on, clean cup!


Moving on, we made butter today in the food processor. That's how this place said to. Yeah, no. Next time I will use my mixer. The butter got too thick for the processor at one point; once it clabbered it was fine, but the heavy cream goo stage almost killed my new toy. Also, easier to move the bowl to drain the goo if it is in the mixer bowl AND since you have to use the bowl anyway for the end steps, using the mixer will mean less to clean up. Here's the pic:


We played pirates today. We kidnapped baby dolls and fed them chicken noodle (she doesn't say it noonel anymore...wahhhhhhh!) instead of dog hair stew and booger pie (what I told her pirates fed their captives, he he). Lil'Bug insists that she is a nice pirate. This is her ship and sail:


AND....that's pretty much our day. There was a dinner disaster where I had trouble cutting the roast up and splattered meat blood all over everything and then forgot to add water to the enchilada simmering beef mass (supposed to be strips) and so it is definitely not going to be ready for consumption anytime soon, or possibly just not for dinner tonight. Yup, that's just the domestic goddess that I am.

*edited to add: dinner was saved by some creative thinking on Dearest Husband's part plus a casserole dish. It was yummy, but too savory for my pregnant heartburn prone system. Gah. When did that happen? (Um, the prone to heartburn thing, I mean....)

7 comments:

  1. I'm so happy bug is getting such a kick out of my pirate ship idea.

    -Aunt Bee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gah! I forgot that was your idea. Lady, she has lived in that ship ever since. Forget EVER having a made bed ever again. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try not to stress about the Wii. There are tons of kid-friendly, non-violent, problem solving, puzzling and social games available for it. Nintendo systems are probably the best that way. You'll have lots of opportunities to enjoy playing it together as a family and build new memories and feelings towards the idea of video-games to replace those old, negative ones. And then Li'l Bug won't need to be burdened by your personal history.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, I need to add, Zamozo....it was a discussion thread on IAUNSCHOOLERs a couple months ago that really got me thinking about a change of heart about the whole video game issue. Just so you know! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ditto to what Zamozo said. :) I also said, "never!" to video games. I also came to a similar conclusion that you did, and now I'm glad we have 'Wii memories' in our family. Nintendo has really great gentle, thought provoking, howlingly fun games.

    I'm excited for you to get it and blog about the fun!

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.