Tuesday 26 February 2008

Disappointing Endings

This week I have read both Grimpow by Rafael Abalos and the Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards. Both well written, incredible novels.

Except for one minor problem.

The endings. The last chapters. In both of these books the last chapter felt forced, like a neat a tidy clean up of all loose ends. I hate that.

It has been a while since I've read anything but Juvenile fiction chapter books so to read through hundreds of pages of gripping well told storyline only to emerge from it disappointed was, well, disappointing.

Perhaps it is me. Has anyone else read these?

1 comment:

  1. I have not read them, but completely understand what you are talking about. I have read quite a few books lately where it seems like the author seemed rushed to end the story in a nice neat manner. Blah!

    By the way, can you recommend a book on the history of words or phrases. It's for N. She keeps asking why people say what they do and where that phrase comes from. I thought you might be a good person to ask about this.

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.