Thursday 14 February 2008

Happy My Valentine

In a chat today with a friend who married her high school sweetheart too, we reflected on how lucky we all are 12 years later.

I dated losers and jerks until I met my husband at age 17. We were friends first. He was sweet and kind and opened doors for me. He read the same books I did and would talk to me about them. He bought me milkshakes to cheer me up. One night he picked me up from work in a blizzard and asked if I had even seen a certain painting. No? Want to? Off we drove at midnight, 4 hours in a blizzard to Kansas City. All this before our first kiss.

Once that happened we were inseparable. I can count the days we have been apart the last 12 years. He is a wonderful father and husband.

Before we were married he decided to do everything he could to get me through college, even if it didn't work out between us. None of our friends really understood that. He was devoted to my happiness and that was an amazing thing. Even now, he may make jokes about my massive student loan debt and itty bitty income, but never in a mean way.

That said, he's alway been by best friend. We've grown together, though we are different people than when we were at 19, we are still interesting to each other. That's pretty neat.

Happy my Valentine. I am so glad you are mine. :)

6 comments:

  1. That's lovely. :)

    But ... WHAT PAINTING???

    ReplyDelete
  2. you forgot to mention he survived a date with you and your brat sister throwing rocks at him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, brat sister threw rocks at him BUT said sister also asked me why I didn't just date him (said event was not a date) because she thought he was cute and kind of nice and the guys I had dated were neither. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe it was the 'shuttlecocks' exhibit that I was actually referring to. The grounds are strewn with what appears to be the remnants of a game of badminton, waiting patiently for the players to return . . . except, they are huge. I like it, I get the impression most people think it's too frivolous to be art, which makes me like it even more, because I hate people who get pretentious about stuff like that.

    Also, I knew the museum much better at the time, and I probably described a few neat paintings that I liked, and the fact that they had a lot of historical stuff, not just whatever paintings some pretentious art snob had deemed 'worthy' of inclusion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. also, you lost like 20$ in fishing lures while we were out. like hell it wasn't a date - it sure cost as much as one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, said "date" was a midnight fishing expedition that had interrupted my sister night with my 11 year old sister, thus the bitter pouting rock throwing by sister.

    The paintings were an exhibit of oils by a guy who painted bland simple farmscapes with bright blue doors. I can't remember the artist. There was also an awesome exhibit of architectural elements from medieval churches, it was this that won my heart. I'm a sucker for stained glass and wooden arches.

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.