Thursday 6 November 2008

Update on the Pup

At the vet, urine sample was analyzed. High sugar. While the vet tech analyzed a blood sample to verify Diabetes, the vet explained the medication process for diabetes, dosage, method, ect.

The blood sample came back with normal blood sugar. ????

So, while the urine didn't indicate infection, we're treating him for bladder infection and doing everything possible to convince him to eat. So far I've fed him out of my hand, some roast beef and some spoonfuls of easy digest mush canned food.

The vet thinks he might have had a pancreatitis episode. This could have been random or from eating a food that upset him. Likely people food on Saturday. We had a party here so he must have eaten a scrap of something in the yard or house. I used to have a relative who didn't believe us when he was a puppy that he was super sensitive to people food and she would sneak him scraps and he would get sick. Since then we have been really super careful, though he would get bits of cheese for meds or a bit of turkey at Thanksgiving. Never hot dogs or chips or plate lickings. I am feeling super guilty for not checking the yard for scraps after feeding 12 under 9. I mean, I should have.

We will recheck his blood and urine in one week. In the meantime we will hand feed him whatever he will eat. Advice and prayers, again, are welcome.

5 comments:

  1. Hey, he's my baby, too, you, so let's figure this out. As for catching his urine, I've had to do this with Lady. Kiss your ladel goodbye and follow Hobbit when he goes to relieve himself. He'll think your nuts but he probably already does.

    And if you'd like to get a second opinion, I highly highly recommend Starch, and they're closer than your other vet.

    Could he be diabetic?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope he will be ok!! I will be sure to watch my dog better now. That is scary! We try to be careful with her, but lil kids are just tough to keep an eye on with pets. Never know what they are doing when in the other room or outside. :(

    We used to have a blue merle A.S. like yours when I was a kid. We had him (Teddy) for ten years. I loved that dog!

    ~Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure what kind of dog food you use (or if it would help any), but our dog loves Innova Evo. It contains very little grain and has a high protein content. It might be worth checking out. We have a lab though and she will eat just about anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sara- Catching urine? I followed him around with a bowl and did just as you described. He did think I was nuts. And as for the Diabetes, the vet was confused with the blood sugar levels. She said sugar in urine usually equals sugar in blood.

    We will eat out of my hand so every two hours I've been feeding him the rx food rolled into balls. 1/2 a can now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My boxer has had a few bouts of stomach problems were her refuses to eat and we have had good luck with rice cooked in beef broth until it is really mushy. I will be thinking of you and Hobbit!

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.