Wednesday 26 November 2008

Fairy Godmothers


My Aunt Deedle. She's been a light in my life, a safe place to call home. She and my uncle nurtured my curiosity, work ethic, and generally gave me a chance to love and to learn how to be loved. They were proud of me. They questioned my choices respectfully and taught me that adversity is not a handicap, nor is a "handicap" an adversity. My uncle passed away seven years ago and my aunt moved to Galveston, TX and opened a bed and breakfast. A pink one.

The hurricane damaged her home this fall, but not as much as some of her neighbors and friends' homes. Still, she needed a break and took a "hurrication" to visit Iowa for Thanksgiving. She doesn't come up here often because our estrangement from her sister makes visiting a delicate balance and a force of drama. But this year there was the hurricane and new babies and our upcoming move and she decided to come anyway.

I am so glad she did. :) Lil'Bug and Blueberry took right to her. She spent all day with us on Tuesday and we showed her the town our style. Science Center, art class, and lots and lots of good, fresh Iowa food. At one point she burst out over dinner and asked my uncle if he would believe this, Mama Podkayne can cook!? Yes, I suppose that is something of a miracle. Considering I actually have kitchen fires, 2nd degree burns, and food poisoning requiring hospitalization under my belt.......Still, her exclamation brought me to tears.

Anyway, we delighted in her company. Looking at the above photo, I actually see a family resemblance I had not previously! Neat.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, everyone should have an Aunt Deedle! How wonderful that she was able to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you had such a lovely visit with your aunt. She sounds like a very sweet person.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.