Sunday 23 November 2008

Christmas Tree Oh Christmas Tree

Christmas Tree. I love having a Christmas tree, I love decorating it, I love my daughter's reaction to it all lit up, I love the warm glow.......

The downside to moving the week before Christmas and having a house on the market it the lack of practicality of said tree. All my ornaments are in storage. I sold our fake trees and all the lights last summer since we are going to have a real tree from now on (and LED lights for safety). The upside is that I'll be able to get the LED lights on clearance after the holidays. Yay.

Still, I am a bit sad. It took me seven years to get this place put together enough to safely have a tree with lights up (because of construction chaos it just wasn't going to happen....) and now I must wait one more year......

I must be practical. So tomorrow I am dressing up the girls to see Santa at the mall and posing them in front of the retail display trees. Yes, I am cheating. ;) Pretty picture backgrounds, no work for me (other than fighting mall traffic). Wish me luck and smiles!

6 comments:

  1. I think one of the reasons I'm so wrapped up in the holidays with hand-crafting and such this year is because last year I felt like it sort of passed us/me by.
    It happens sometimes.
    I do wish you lots of smiles - and not the posing, fake kind but the joyous kind. At least one really good one! :)
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I'm hoping for too. Getting them in pretty dresses and combing hair (I'll aim for bows and settle for not a wild mess) and then letting them ride the train, see Santa, and eat ice cream. I will never do a studio session again if I can help it.

    These holidays are passing so quickly BUT things are moving in a good way towards something we've dreamed about for so long. What's one cut tree compared to the hundreds of living ones on our new farm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would think it wayyy more fun to get dressed up and take their pic outside by a real tree outside (i love outdoor pics best). We have done that many times over the years. But it is too cold now, I suppose?

    I know the feeling about the tree! I want to do one, but we haven't even figured out if we are going to be with my family or just stay here. Much luck to you!

    ~Heather

    P.S. The botanical center has lovely gardens for photographs. And if you're really lucky a friend will meet you there and take family photos. i love it there.

    P.S.S. I can't even remember if I have a fake tree. LOL. We usually do, but I think i sold it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every other year we have to celebrate christmas in Phoenix with the in-laws. That means, no tree for me. And it's killing me every time. I don't like to be without a tree, so I just put little lights everywhere and decorate the house like crazy. I think my husband loves it when christmas is finally over and his house turns back to normal. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't worry, you'll have years and years of good 'ole country Christmas trees! Also, I got your message about the hist. building. Sorry, we had a whirlwind of activity going on that day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We will be putting ours up Saturday nite-you are more than welcome to come over. It's fake, but it has done the job. Actually it is too bad you don't have a fake one-I did ours with popcorn, cranberries and dried apples and oranges last year, plus it is already decked with lights, so it would be easy to have up until your move, and then take down and put back up right away. Maybe black friday would have a deal on a cheap one?

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.