Thursday 3 January 2008

Release: Part 5, Trust/Gentleness

I've been reading over at Happy and Free almost every morning. Stephanie has been writing these lovely posts about the parenting aspects of the unschooled and she is articulating something that has been swirling in my mind the last year or so. Everyone chooses what works for them and their families. I am on a quest to find what works for me and my family.

I want to be a gentle parent. I did not grow up with that. Sometimes I am worried that I will go too far in the direction away from that, that I will miss gentle and become negligent. I don't want that either. I have a deep respect for my child as an individual that began before she was born: I used to say, "I can't wait to meet her!" It's true. Everyday I wake up and I can't wait to get to know her better. I don't want to hurt her or her spirit so I have chosen not to use physical discipline.

I do get frustrated. Frustration is not working for me. The problem as I am coming to see it though is that my voice does not have to be elevated in volume to be "yelling". I tried something else. It worked much better, but I am worried over it too. I calmly said, "I am angry about what you are doing and this is why." I worry that in not portraying anger that I seemed like a robot.

It comes down to this metaphor: I never learned how to cook. In fact I was taught how to cook wrong on purpose so a very un-confident person could always upstage me and "save" the meal. That is not right to do to a child since cooking food is a life skill, and much intuitive. Parenting is like that for me too- everything I was taught and raised with was wrong. Not different- wrong. I know this, I know much of my intuition comes from this place. I knew this before we decided to have children and I was working on it then. I had to work on it in our marriage and as a person too. So when I welcomed my little one, I was much healed. I needed to read parenting books, try things out, and live it differently.

Lil'Bug is three years old. I've been reading about others who have children this age and are struggling with willfulness, disobedience, and other issues. I see manifestations of these things and I understand them to be a breakdown of communication. Lil'Bug doesn't disobey because usually when I've asked her to do something, I've asked and she sees it as a choice. Her stubbornness is usually a difference in how the situation is viewed. How would I deal with these situations if she was another adult? Sometimes the things parents do to children are humiliating and we would never consider doing them to a peer. We would never pick up and forcibly remove a peer from a situation, or pinch, or hit. Why? They would get physical right back. But we do this to children, why wouldn't they fight back sooner than later? Why do we as adults need to exert power over children and make them do things? Perhaps we do not trust ourselves? Perhaps it is easier to play the, "I'm bigger than you," card. Do we remove them to save ourselves embarrassment during a fit or to find a quiet place for resolution or spare them humiliation? (Removing from danger, not included.) Sometimes resolution is best found in the loud and noisy place, but easier removed.

So, I need to release myself from this bond of mistrust in myself as a parent. Breathe gentleness.

2 comments:

  1. I think where we can save ourselves here (I personally don't have a problem, unfortunately, with masking anger or frustration) is to be clear on (express) the full range of emotions.
    ie - "I feel angry when I see that, because I worry that xxx will happen, and I feel like I and my feelings don't matter..." etc.
    Again - not to be manipulative, or whiny. But I know from living ru that when such things are voiced - my reasons then are not just me being bossy, the children will take care to ensure that my feelings are cared for.
    I truly believe it's acceptable -and necessary- to say "This is my home also, and I'd like (and indeed, need) to feel safe and happy here."

    Regarding kids and control - I think sometimes people just need to feel their power.
    As children, they had none, and as adults they figure it's their due. Finally.
    We learn to parent from being a kid, unfortunately for some of us, and the cycle continues, as you know. Until a brave soul decides to change it.
    Babes being rotten in order to make your (their) life miserable is just not what they are about. Period.
    Sure they have needs to be met - but if they're met lovingly then it's been my experience that they're almost always willing to compromise.

    ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie's posts are inspiring. :)

    Here's another thought too...If you are too confident in your parenting abilities, you don't stay on your toes and get lax. That can lead to issues too. There is a certain amount of healthy worry about being a good parent. Maybe. Just my 2 cents.

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.