Sunday 6 January 2008

Flash Back

That's a pun. I'm going to write today about my long love affair with cameras and pictures.

When I was 12 or so I got my father's old Nikon. Where we lived there were no classes on how to use it and the teenage at the local 1 hour developer was absolutely no help. I would take the pictures and cross my fingers something good would come of it. Sometimes I'd get 1 good picture. I tried black and white film- same results. I longed for someone to show me how.

I dreamed of becoming a photographer for National Geographic. Then we moved to Iowa and the local high school had a college level photography program....that there was a waiting list for and I did not have a chance of getting into. No money either so no class. I took up painting instead, hoping to capture the frames of my imagination in that medium instead.

Fast forward to 2001: my first job out of college I was trained on a Nikon CoolPix digital. DIGITAL! Oh man. I could see the photos as I was taking them. No long wait to see if anything came out. Seriously a huge thing for me.....but a $1,000 camera. So when my job ended so did my access to that dream. I was crushed. (Not to mention that the job is still one I list as the sweetest job ever- driving around rural Iowa taking pictures of historic houses and writing up briefs about them.....talking to people about the value of their properties, grants and resources available to them......ah, yes.)

Lately I would click "camera used" on Flicker when the other mamas posted pictures and then I would drool over mega pixels and picture settings.........and then I would continue on with my camera envy.

So for Christmas of this year, Dearest Husband purchased me my dream camera. What a guy! It was disappointing that it stopped working, but in reality that has just made me more grateful when the replacement came. Now I am going to learn how to use it.

But wait, there's more! Nikon has a monthly challenge for a photo on a theme. I'm going to do the same. No prizes, but fun. So I will post a theme, you post your picture and then a message on my post linking to your post. Make sense? Ah, and they will all be home and family and learning related. Feel free to post a challenge suggestion too!

This week's challenge? Warmth. (I know vague, but simple!)

12 comments:

  1. I'm back. :)
    Questions - new photos, right? Because the point is to be inspired today, not to win a contest....?
    Secondly - so is this a Mama/unschooler/homeschooler/family thing?
    What I mean is, are the family always going to be included somewhere in the pic, (making it extra challenging, to be sure) or can we take pics of inanimate objects.
    Maybe you mean inanimate objects so long as it's obvious that family is included, and it's a part of it (like bean juice, :) for instance)....
    ?
    Sorry to be a pain.
    :/
    I'll be posting about this on HF, by the way, and broadcasting your challenge.
    Don't know if any one will READ it, :), but I'll be telling anyway.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. No limits to creativity.

    Bean juice sounds lovely! Now I am hungry for beans and ham soup. Mmmmmmm.

    Broadcast away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll play here: http://www.11thstreetproductions.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my first time doing this, I hope it works.
    I wanted to participate in the contest. Thanks for inspiring me and I really appreciate your blog. I sent the link to a friend of mine who just recently left a journalism career to stay home with her kids.
    Here is my picture...
    http://cheznousinmaine.blogspot.com/
    KKS

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mine's up! Dang, MP! This is fun. I've checked out the others and it's a lot of fun to see different interpretations of the theme. LOVE this idea!

    evie

    ReplyDelete
  6. count me in!
    http://childplay.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll play

    http://gallery.wamza.com/index.php?page=fullpage.php&picid=114

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm playing: http://sugarboot.blogspot.com/2008/01/photoblogging-challenge.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm up.
    http://happy-and-free.blogspot.com/2008/01/warmth.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! This is my first time here.

    http://www.rusticstains.com/goshwow/index.php?showimage=170

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.