Wednesday 2 January 2008

Release: Part 1, Stuff

Release my attachment to stuff/junk. This is the easy part, right? De-cluttering is really an economic privilege, you have to have stuff and be able to do without it. But I am a curbside junk-aholic. I have grand visions of what things could be. I also have a strange attraction to clearance sales or cheap crap- like a crow collecting pretty, shiny things. I need to develop an attachment to my bank account balance instead. This also means that when I have actual need for something, like dining room chairs, there might be money for it.

Release the extra things people give me. I am also sentimental about gifts, even if I don't need them. I need to say no. I need to take on less.

Release the desire to go shopping. I hate shopping, yet I am drawn to it as the first response to a need- any need and then I buy more than I need. I need to look around and really make sure that I don't have something that will fill that need. Getting organized will help this, since usually I can't find the things I need even if I do have them.

See this is the easy one. We will choose the quality pieces of furniture and items to take with us when we move and all else will be sold or given away. We started with 75 bins in storage and are down to less than half of that. We started with a house jammed full of furniture and last summer downed it to two bedroom sets (from 4-5?). We really have uncluttered, but I can hardly tell! This is so frustrating to me. Moving will help, but you can't wave a wand and get a lifestyle. We need to learn it now. We clear a space or a surface and within days it is full of stuff again (flylady calls these hot-spots, whatever, volcanoes of junk is more like it!). So, I must release the goblin who keeps doing this inside me and just take care of it.

2 comments:

  1. Ha! I am a curbside junkaholic as well! It's a sickness, really. We have two rooms upstairs that don't get used and have become a storage facility for all of the crap that we don't need but just can't bring ourselves to throw away or give away. Like you, we need to get rid of that inner messy, hoarding goblin and get rid of all this stuff.

    Man, I really relate to this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are down to the north bedroom and the 1500 square foot "attic"/ballroom lurking on the third story.

    It's also got architectural salvage we have gathered to use on the house and garage we planned on building. Now that we are moving, we are undecided if we should leave the piles for the future owners or get rid of it all. Easier to leave it, but the house would show better if we cleaned it all out. More to do.....

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.