Wednesday 9 January 2008

Birth and Doulas and Centering

I love the idea of Doulas. I now have two that will be attending June Bug's birth. The idea of having dedicated care providers that are my employees, that's only part of it. I also long for the idea of being surrounded by friends and family for the blessed event, but that may not be possible if things go awry. During C-Section prep last time only the Doula could stay with me and I was glad to have someone I knew holding my hand. Things got crazy. I am glad to have the small comforts.

Birth is a complicated issue for me. At times I am full of anxiety and mistrust and at others I feel fully empowered to complete the cycle. Things did not go as I planned with Lil'Bug, complications made things scary. This time, feels different. I feel different about many things, more confident and more knowledgeable, but there is still the unknown waiting out there. I read in a kids adventure book recently- one character said to another, "If you feel confident, it is merely because there is something you don't know. Fear can save your life." Or something like that.

So I ordered more books, looked into classes again. I sat down and thought about it. I talked with Dearest Husband. It is too early to stress out about what we don't know will happen.

I am doing better with the de-stress meditation, I bought a lovely pendant today to work as a worry stone, it is Carnelina and Imperial Jasper in a pumpkin orange with a purple vein. My favorite colour combination. It was handmade by a dear friend, that makes it even more special.Will a small pretty make a big difference? Maybe. With Lil'Bug I had a pendant I wore through pregnancy of opal and amethyst and I will give it to her on her 18th birthday. I wanted the same small token to give June Bug. It is very pretty and feels perfect on my neck.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, MP, it's gorgeous - and what a beautiful and loving thought, to have it for her to give away.
    I wish I had thought of such a beautiful thing for Maddie!
    Someday (after June Bug's birth) I'll tell you of Trev and Maddie's second coming's :).
    Birth is so important for some of us - as is pregnancy.
    So beautiful and loving.
    Sending my best wishes your way regarding both - though I still have a while to go on the one... :)
    xo
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful. I think wearing pretties can make a big difference!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a doula with The Naturalist--it made it such a better experience!

    I love your pendant/worry stone. Such a great idea to wear it with plans to pass it down. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had a doula with our first born, it was great. She was such a help, but mostly I think it was for me, dad!

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.