Thursday 26 July 2007

Laundry Fun! We're Totally Nuts Here.

Here's the deal. My dearest husband has this terrible, painful skin thing and medicines are not working for him. The ones that do a little bit are icky AND expensive, but they treat a symptom not the root cause. He's always complaining about things smelling too strong or itching, especially clothes. I thought we should change bath soaps. We did, Amy at the Foil Hat rocks some serious Pure Castile. That helped a little. So what about laundry soap? Some of the moms on our discussion board were sharing recipes for such soap, but even those have borax, or fels naphtha, or washing soda- all of which he reacts to.

Then I found soap nuts.

When I stumbled upon the Sapindus tree and its fruit/berries I was intrigued. I had been frustrated that all "soap" must use lye, but here was a plant that produces an agent that much of the world uses for laundry. Hmmmm. I cannot grow it in a zone 4/5. Surely someone has packaged it and is marketing it to hippies. If they don't, I will and I will get to roll in piles of "green" money.

Maggie's Pure Land got there before me AND I could order from them through amazon.com. That said, I was a little ashamed to use it, afraid that this would deeply root me as one of them, especially when it arrived and had a floating yoga hippie on the box and a free pair of love nut earrings. OMG. And then, what if its all a scam, after all the patchouli most hippies wear deadens their senses and they don't bathe anyway, so how would they know if their clothes were actually getting clean??!!?!?!?

Then my daughter itched at me. So in went the soap nuts and in went the clothes. They came out clean. Since there are no harsh detergents, they say there is no need to use fabric softener. They smelled like.....like....nothing. Like cotton. And DH itches less, claims that his shirts are so soft they tickle. So I washed sheets. The sheets dried in 20 minutes instead of an hour and each load had barely anything in the lint basket. It was seriously like I'd entered the laundry room of the Twilight Zone. Tonight I did the ultimate test, really stinky, slimy dishtowels that had sat in a bucket for two days. Clean? Oh my yes. I didn't even have to run them a second time or with bleach. When the soap nuts are used up, you compost them. I am sooooo totally the laundry queen! Now...... if only I could grow them myself!

The only downside I see is that my clothes are not super lamb soft like I was used to. I will continue on the quest to fix this, but DH and Lil'Bug don't seem to care. Also, I feel good about letting Lil'Bug help (she is such an adorable helper!), even handle the soap nuts. Check out the photos on the left for all the action packed sudsy goodness. (You have to click on the wash load picture to see most of the sudsing.)

We didn't do this to be "green", we did it to stop itching.

4 comments:

  1. I guess from the feed back I've been getting (all anonymous, BTW) that my sarcasm about being green ddn't come through and I ended up showing like a pretentious hippie house frau. I am soooo sorry. I just wanted to share our laundry solution with our friends and family. I was kidding about the one upping everyone on greeness. KIDDING. K-I-D-D-I-N-G.
    Ok?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I figured out the softness issue! It was pretty simple really, I need to not be a scrooge about when to compost the nuts, three uses for each bagful on warm water (70 degrees) and that's about the max. It is what the box says, I was just trying to stretch my dollar a bit more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's great! We are an itchy family too, everything fragrance free and no fabric softener. I'd like to try these too.

    My cousin's DD is allergic to lanolin, which is in many lotions, lip balms, etc. It took eliminating everything for them to figure it out, now her itchy rashy skin is all better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it might be a sensitivity to petroleum bases in our case, but we're still experimenting with food allergy possibilities. I've read that milk allergy can manifest itself as this type of skin condition too, though it is not really well documented yet....at least that I have found so far.

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.