Tuesday 11 December 2007

Party! (and some stuff)

We hosted our local all inclusive homeschooler group's monthly meeting at our home yesterday afternoon. We all had a blast. Great Grandma came too. I hope she had fun! We did a cookie exchange, the kids played and played, and the moms gathered to have tea in the kitchen. I so needed an afternoon just like this. It refreshed me and, though I went to bed with a pounding headache, my heart was not as heavy.


Of course I made the prediction that the weather weenies (our local meteorologists) were over reacting yet again and the coming storm would not be anything. I was soooooo wrong. Even my dearest husband's work was closed down (sort of) and that NEVER happens (though, the malls only closed early....). It's not the 3-5 inches of snow, it is that it rained first on top of the snow we already had making a fun layer of jagged ice, power outages, and then the 3-5 inches of wet heavy snow on top of that. It still doesn't feel like an old fashioned Iowa blizzard to me, but I will concede that it is dangerous to go out in these (beautiful) conditions.


Then, my husband also has earned some acknowledgement: on Sunday he finished my fireplace, went to band practice, grocery shopped for my shin dig, and then stayed up until midnight baking cookies for my part of the exchange. I played with Lil'Bug amidst concerns that I would not get the house "party" clean. Yup, I finished cleaning just as the first knock on the door greet us. ;) That's just how I roll. Here is his handiwork:

Before
AFTER!

3 comments:

  1. Whoa, WHOA! Can I borrow your husband? Mine works way too late these days to accomplish anything like that. Man, that looks awesome!

    It's nice to hear that your heart is feeling lighter today. You have definitely been on my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The mantle was here when we bought the house 9 years ago, but the tile had been stripped out by urban miners years before that. We took the mantle down to plaster repair 5 years ago and (sigh) it just had to be done for my party......

    :) It does look great though. Too bad I can't have a real fire in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is soooo gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.