Tuesday 18 December 2007

Motherhood Shopping Musings

I bought jeans at the local Motherhood store. They were $16. Whoo Hoo! I thought since I saved so much that I would look around. The sales lady pointed at some sweaters and then, very kindly, pointed out that my underbelly was already sticking out of my current ensemble, perhaps I'd consider a sweater or top to go with my jeans? I was mortified. I had no idea that bare skin was hanging out below my sweater. Really, with the new jeans and the belly panel it is not an issue, but for my underbelly pants it is. Gah. She was so nice about it, but still.

This week I plan to sort my closet and find the bigger sweaters that I know I have. No need to spend additional money on clothes that are one season! Did you know on the list of must haves for expecting mother's wardrobe is a BOW FRONT SHIRT! I mean that is so 1970's isn't it? Yes, the ugly giant bow on the front of an empire waisted shirt in some pastel puke color. Fine if you like that sort of thing, but why is it on the must have list with jeans and underwear? LOL. So I have jeans. I will wear them almost exclusively until the end when I turn into a giant hippo and then I will find a mu-mu. Last time the one I had was butter yellow and my family called me the butter cow. It was too funny.

I just priced cloth diapers and while they are cheaper than disposables in the long run, the up front cost is daunting. I figure that we will likely do a hybrid use approach. Did you know that you are supposed to flush poop out of the disposables before tossing them in the diaper pail? No seriously. I did not know that nor do I know anyone who used disposables that did that. But it is true, it says so one on their website and packaging. Apparently it is not just the plastic and space consumption in the landfill that is bad, but the watershed contamination with fecal. I had a student in the nursing program write a paper about it this semester- fascinating stuff.

So I've decided to register for stuff after all- just not sure how or where just yet. There is time after all! I want to see how much I can get at Spring garage sales first.

6 comments:

  1. Hi! Haven't commented for awhile, but I stop by and read daily.

    We used disposables exclusively for the Boy, and then used disposables for the Girl for night-time. And yes, I did flush poop from the disposable- I actually did it, because I had been doing it with cloth for the previous 3 years.

    I would definitely get at least some cloth diapers, or some of the fitted wrappy kind.

    Loved the part about your tummy sticking out- I have that problem now, and I am not even preggers, lol.
    When are you due, Mama P?
    LB

    ReplyDelete
  2. JUNE! So excited. I was thinking about you today LB! Hope you are not waterlogged!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bow front shirt? Barf! I have to laugh at half of the stuff that they say is a need for all mothers. Most of it is just junk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops, I meant we used CLOTH for the boy, and then disposables for the girl. Dangit.

    We are ok! I am better, not so emotional, but I am still crying at the drop of a hat (or more accurately, the rising up of unbidden memories, or someone looking crosseyed at me.) and finding it hard to focus on anything. Our basement is dry, and we are crossing our fingers it stays that way for awhile!

    I did blog today, not much, but I am trying to get back on the horse, as they say. I have so many gifts to make still. Gotta get crackin'.

    LB

    ReplyDelete
  5. the cloth diaper group is having a "garage" sale in February...maybe you can pickup some used deals then. I think I will check them out. Oh, and you can register and have a cloth diaper party through wallypop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I plan on going to the garage sale in February. I was trying to figure out the registry at Wallypop, but I couldn't just yet. Between grading finals and lack of sleep.....I'll get to it very soon.

    :)

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.