Friday 14 September 2007

A Lovely Day Out, Dusty, but Lovely

We had an absolutely lovely day. We met LifeDreamed L. and her little man in person. We played hard at the farm. We enjoyed the company of friends and friendship that is offered without clauses. It was really lovely.

Actually, it's been a week like this, but that's for another blog. This one is just for the fun pictures of my Lil'Bug helping at the farm.

List of things she got to do:
Feed the pigs slops, haul firewood, pull kernels off of corncobs, sweep a utility room, gather eggs, feed chickens (ice-cream grass), print a poster note, wash her hands with lye soap, scrape bison hide, ride the horse drawn omni-bus, play, play, and oh yeah....play!



5 comments:

  1. You had me at 'lye soap', which is what I make in my spare time. :)

    Look at the cute egg basket! And cute farm! I have red barn envy.

    I love days like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its actually our local "living history" farm. So much fun.

    Do you make your own lye too? When we have a farm I am considering doing just that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found out the Denver has a 'living history' farm close to the zoo...we're going to check it out next week. I hope they have cute egg baskets like that. :)

    I don't make my own lye, and I also don't use rendered animal fat, like they would on a farm. But I have some soap recipes that use ash for lye and other farm materials--when you get your farm I'll give them to you as a housewarming present. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too cool. I used to live in CO. Actually several places: Greeley, near Byers/Deer Trail, and Denver. The aunt and uncle I write so lovingly of had a ranch near Byers/Deer Trail.

    I promise, when we sell this house I will joyously announce it all over the place. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This reminds me of when we lived in NJ. We lived near Howell Farm in PA and PianoGirl was a part of their preschool program. She regualrly got to grind corn, feed chickens (maybe that is where she first fell in love with them!), watch the sheep shearing, ride in the horse drawn wagon, pick punkins, make butter, etc. It was a ton of fun, and we loved it. Santa would come to visit, in a horse drawn sleigh, they did once a month crafts, and let ordinary folks like me help when they had school tours.
    I am so glad Lil'Bug gets to experience this- it is something she will never forget.
    LB

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.