Saturday 22 September 2007

How Often is Too Often?

We've been having a series of lively discussions around here regarding housecleaning. Housecleaning is NOT my superpower. I can walk through an old house that is cut up and mangled into apartment units and tell you the original floor plan/location of fireplaces and pocket doors, ect.....BUT I cannot clean a toilet and I have no idea where to begin to clean the oven. Flylady made me neurotic and I had a shine-y sink for about a week and began to call my shoes loathers instead of loafers. Happy Slob is nice but, while motivating, doesn't give me step by step instructions for some of these tasks.

The latest contention around here is that I mop too much. ????? I'm good at mopping. I even have an industrial tile scrubber that I whip out once a month (maybe that is overkill, but it is sooo fun!). The kitchen floor never looks dirty (awesome slate tile in greens and browns), but it never looks clean to me either. I mop about twice a week, when it gets sticky. Is that too much? Tell me it is not too much. :) I also vacuum as often. We have hardwood floors but the broom and the dog hair seem to have a truce so I must come in with the anti dog hair strike- the cyclonic vacuum.

Also, I am not really that bad. I do try. I hope some of my mama friends who have visited can chime in and reassure my husband that our house is not worthy of intervention on the Oprah show.

4 comments:

  1. I love a clean house!
    I mean really love it.
    I feel so much more calm and ready to take on anything the littles may throw at me.
    But - it's not very often that it happens.
    I'm not sure what the question is - is it that something can be too clean?
    Not in my book.
    As long as I'm happy, and not making the loves feel tortured!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think his point is that I should be attacking Mt. Wash-more or packing boxes or tidying something else, but I default to making the kitchen floor sparkle (as mush as earthy toned slate tile can sparkle).

    It is rally unfair. maybe I could find joy in the other tasks if I was good at them? Gah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nah - send him our way and though i've never seen your house i'm sure it's fine. now mine... i pick things up and it LOOKS clean (as heather will attest to), but i only dust every week and mop once a month, vaccuum once a week and do dishes when they start to clutter the counter too much. laundry is when my husband or i start noticing that we have no underclothes left that are clean and we have to put shorts on under our jeans :D I can easily point out the loads of laundry and dirty dishes hidden away out of company's eyes to your husband so that he'll feel better and know that sometimes cleanit to company! (though i promise that things are properly sanitary) lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here are some pics of my cleaning skills. 'Nuff said.
    http://childplay.wordpress.com/2007/07/20/mad-organizational-skillz-yo/

    I would say it's unwise for any man to complain that his wife is doing something 'too much'. It makes this wife (me) want to go on strike. I get very emotional about cleaning...I get very overwrought about it.

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.