Wednesday 23 July 2008

Wednesday Smiles and Dental Thing Plus Meme

Sharon challenged me to a meme: 6 things I have not written about before, that you don't know about me......

1) Until today I hated my dental hygienist. She creeped me out by asking about my husband every time I had my teeth cleaned. Not normal questions, but things like shoe and shirt size, favorite food, sports team......weird. Today she tried really hard to do her job while I wore a fussy Blueberry in my Moby wrap and Lil'Bug danced around trying to help her clean my teeth. She was patient and wonderful and we all walked out happy. Not. One. Meltdown. Awesome.

2) I stopped wearing make up about 6 months ago because of pregnancy. I didn't want to absorb the cosmetics into my skin and harm the baby. Silly? Maybe. I figured I go back to caking it on after she was born BUT my skin has never felt so good. I actually don't get the old sinking feeling when I look in a mirror in the morning. I don't need foundation "for sunscreen" anymore either. Maybe I am not meeting the standard for beauty, but I feel great and not slimy. I expected to look in the mirror for the first time post delivery and see a splotched, bloated, frazzled version of myself but I was pleasantly surprised. It was surreal.

3) I once hugged Tori Amos. However I clawed my way through a crowd to do it and that kind of ruins the memory for me.

4) I once talked the ear off of the former Governor of Iowa at a luncheon. He listened and asked questions about my thesis for close to two hours. I had no idea who he was. I thought "Governor Ray" was a nickname or something. Seriously. Later he sent a lovely note to my boss at the museum with a list of additional resources he thought would be useful to me in research. So he was actually interested! Still, I had no idea who he was until my boss told me. For those outside of Iowa- Governor Ray was in office for 14 years and has a giraffe named after him at our zoo.

5) Cooking with lard grosses me out. I do cook with bacon grease. I know it is the same thing, but scooping out lard is yucky. I feel the same way about making gravy. Yucky. But I'll eat gravy.

6) I love science fiction books from the 1940's and 50's. Theodore Sturgeon is my favorite. He wrote the short story that E.T. was based on.

I tag my current blogroll, lazy I know, but I have laundry to attend to!

4 comments:

  1. hmmm. I didn't know that about #6. That's interesting.

    I will do this tomorrow or Friday!

    Come see me, I'm going crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I was thinking about the chemicals and purple hair thing. Have you tried koolaid? It's supposed to last just as long as the temporary chem colors (the longer you leave it on before washing, the better your results). All kinds of instructions online. Just a thought.

    Lard grosses me out too. Any kind of obvious FAT from an ANIMAL.. blech, so makes me want to hurl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So great about #2. I really need to follow your lead.

    #4 is really funny. Aren't you glad you didn't know who he was and spoiled the whole conversation?!

    Gosh, lard is gross. I think not being grossed out by it would be weirder. :)

    Thanks, it was fun reading about you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are tagging me!? now I have to think a lot.....

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.