Thursday 10 July 2008

Great Clippers

Lil'Bug really wanted to use scissors this week. So I let her. I even bought her her own pair of blunt tip kid scissors. She clipped and clipped and snipped all day, until the floor was littered with paper and glue and paint. An explosion of motor skills and creativity. Lovely.

Until.

Until she cut her own hair. That's a right of passage, isn't it? I was right there with her and she was simple too quick for me to stop her. She looked at me in amazement and said, "Mama, my hair is falling out?" Aghk. Luckily, she merely cut more of those stupid layers that the multiple Great Clips hair "artists" butchered her hair with so, really, you can't tell.

The bright side is that at age three she has a marketable skill, she can cut hair for Great Clips! Ha. (For those who don't remember we gave instructions for NO LAYERS and the hair cut lady cut lots of layers so we went to a GC across town and asked a different lady to fix it but cutting it really short to get rid of the layers and she cut MORE LAYERS AND GAVE LIL'BUG A SUCKER AND THEN TOOK IT AWAY FROM HER WHEN SHE STARTED CRYING! OMG).

Still, Dearest had been skeptical about letting Lil'Bug had scissor privilage. Upon seeing the carnage of her hair on the floor, he reminded me of his objections. Bah. He turns to her and asks, "Lil'Bug, how old are you?"

"Three!"

"Thank you sweety, now I won't have to do an I was right dance for Mama," he snickered.

Hmph.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, goodness! As you can imagine, we have scissors around all the time and I decided early on to just teach W how to use them rather than constantly try to keep them from him. His fascination with cutting his hair was, fortunately, short-lived. And, you know, we rarely take him in for haircuts, so most of the time, a quick home trim to even out his snips did the trick. But I think EVERY child needs to cut his or her own hair at least once.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm... we have a few pics around here, too, somewhere....

    What?!? took it away?!?

    Take her scissors away, I say. Hmmph.

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.