Saturday 12 July 2008

The Troll and the Battle for Mt. Patience


Lil'Bug has been feeling angry and rude inside. She is very frustrated about it and has painted some lovely expressive art that starts with a rainbow of colors and ends with the spectrum being covered with black paint.

She said her feelings are turning her into a troll, that's how trolls are made you see. She wants to be a princess, not a troll. She said she needs patience. I think what she may be saying is that either she needs to be patient or I need to be patient with her more. Or both, maybe both would be better.

I'm not sure how to help her with what she is feeling. I am eternally grateful she is able to express it verbally and artistically. I thought that starting back with play dates and field trips and park days would help, but they don't so much. Also, aside from very few isolated incidents (usually at play dates) she's been cheerful, helpful, and awesome- the normal state of Lil'Bug! That's why I'm so surprised she is articulating her sadness and anger, outwardly she seems fine.

As for me, I am content and blank. I'm just not feeling super happy or super sad or frustrated or overwhelmed. No extremes. Just getting by. I decided to start getting up at 5 am when Blueberry does and in the morning I enjoyed the quiet and the sunrise. It was a nice start to the day. Then she shifted to waking at 4am and then sleeping until 7am. I'm not getting up at 4 and everyone is up by 7. Ah, it was nice while it lasted.

So while I am feeling very vanilla inside, little one is rocky road mud pie with sprinkles. Perhaps that is a balanced mix. Hopefully we will work through it well.

3 comments:

  1. What a blessing that she can communicate her feelings to you. you two will work it out, of that I'm totally certain.

    I love the description of her as rocky road mud pie with sprinkles. Priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same thought about rocky road mud pie with sprinkles. And all I can say to you is that this too shall pass. I had this with my daughter when she was younger. And sometimes she still goes through phases. We take it as it is and work through it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well.
    I certainly understand it.
    I am the Troll Kindly Princess myself.
    Let me know wisdom she comes to, won't you?
    I'm eager hear of it....

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.