Wednesday 6 August 2008

Some Small Thing I Get Cranky About

Age segregation.

As in public school classrooms. As in "enrichment programs" at the library. As in homeschool co-ops.

Why do we group children based on age instead of intellectual ability? The easy answer is "emotional maturity" and I can totally see that with preschool vs. older elementary, to a point because of disruption issues. But I don't understand social promoting just to keep kids with their age group and likewise not grade skipping for kids who are advanced in studies. Why is it such a big deal for a kid to be 11 in highschool? Why do we worry over the 9 year old in the first grade?

Well, because kids will be cruel to each other. That is a huge problem, but I am pretty sure it is not related to age segregation. Cruelty is a product of home life and should be addressed as such instead of ignored or institutionalized.

Ah, but we are homeschooling. We get to avoid such annoyances, yes? No. We were excluded from several activities this summer because of an age cut off. Last summer we couldn't do the canoeing part of a field trip because of Lil'Bug's age even though she had been out on our canoe in bigger waters more times than many of the kids who did get to go. She had proven her ability to handle it, her maturity, and her interest and was still left out. Liability the park ranger said. Ok. But that explanation doesn't hold for the library activities. That's just based on assumptions about how most kids act. Lil'Bug can get excited and run about with the best of 3 year olds, but she also knows how to leave (I know when to leave when she doesn't) if she isn't interested. She has demonstrated civility in group situations. I just wish the world was not so restricted.

Spending time with unschoolers who do not age segregate most of the time is a solution, but only for social and self learning. She really wants to take these classes that her 5-6 year old friends are taking. It is not fair. I wish the classes would list abilities needed to participate instead of "ages 5-10".

5 comments:

  1. Excellent, thought provoking points. I love it when you write about education, youth and our world.

    With gratitude for a thinker who shares.

    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mama P, I think some homeschool co-ops age segregate because that's what schools, churches and, as you said, even libraries do. They have trouble thinking outside the box.
    I think another reason that co-ops age discriminate might be that they are dealing with Lake Woebegon parents who believe that "all the children are above average." (present company excepted, of course)

    In my co-op we group 3 grades together (1-3 grade, 4-6 grade, etc) and will make exceptions when requested by a parent. I've let 7th graders into my high school level classes and they did great because they wanted to be there. It's a step in the right direction...

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will say that I am not against not promoting a younger child to older grades in school. It depends a lot on the child and what other options are available to them. Oftentimes, a child ends up happier in the long run staying with his or her peers (because that is what is normal in school) but having the ability to take advanced classes. Many of us in jr high and high school took classes at one of the local colleges (during school hours), several of my friends took high school classes while in jr high, etc. We weren't as freaky that way. I mean, most of us were having a tough enough time as it was, I know I personally did not need the self-esteem issues that would have come from being known far and wide as being some sort of Doogie Houser freak.

    At the same time, i share your frustration regarding activities for the young ones. We have wanted to go on group canoe excursions, or group hikes even, but were unable to because of Wally's age. I know the reasons - they don't want one small child to hold up the group, or to cause trouble, or whatever, and many parents would not be as careful or honest regarding their child's abilities as we both know we are.

    I so often find myself wondering WHAT is the specific issue that makes an activity for 5 year olds and up? In some cases, I'm sure that Wally is not nearly mature enough to handle it, and in some cases, I'm sure he'd do fine. But it's hard for even me to make that call when I don't understand the reasons for the age restriction.

    I also am starting to wonder about another issue. I'm going to have a 5 year old and a baby. Then a one year old and a 6 year old. Many activities that are geared towards younger kids do not allow older kids. The pool in Indianola, for example, has toddler time, nobody over 6 is allowed in. Well, thanks, guys. Libraries frown on bringing toddlers to the older kids activities, and also on bringing older kids to younger kids activities. It's going to be interesting.

    (And at the same time, I understand this to an extent. I myself get kind of irritated when older kids come to the mall play area, for example. They play rougher, are so much bigger, and often don't look out for the little ones. But I've seen some older children - 8 or 10 - spend their whole time in the play area engaging a smaller child in fun games, or leading a game of tag with the younger kids, etc. But the mall can hardly post a rule "inconsiderate children over the age of 8 not allowed." lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know that spending time with unschoolers is a perfect solution, either.
    We have that problem all the time because of the large age gap between the girls and the boys. ICHEN has activities that are supposed to be for all ages but the older kids really don't want for the little kids to be there for the most part. Honestly my boys are usually the only younger ones that go to the weekly gym day because their sister wants to go.
    If it were not for her we probably wouldn't. It is unfortunate, but I have decided that it is probably better for the little ones if they are segregated a little.
    Older kids, regardless of whether they are unschooled or not, don't seem to want to hang out the little kids. I know a few who are good with younger kids but for the most part the teens barely tolerate the younger kids at best and sometimes some of them can be downright mean.
    We were at floor hockey this spring and my six-year-old was playing for the second time. I only let him use one of the plastic toy sticks because he has less than stellar hand eye coordination and his hockey stick was all over the place. Apparently the fifteen-year-old he was playing with didn't have much patience for little ones missing the puck. He grabbed my son's stick and held it over his head as if he were going to hit him with it.
    Another time one we were at a park and of the older kids told him a scary story to get him to leave because he was the only little guy there.
    So I don't know that we are solving that problem by unschooling, either. It is a pervasive attitude in this society that kids pick up from all sorts of places. Regardless, it makes me cranky, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's the thing. They wouldn't be viewed as a Doogie Howser if we didn't put so much importance on age. Once that kid grows up, he or she is not a kid genius anymore. Just a smart adult and there is not anything inherently special about that.

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.