Wednesday 6 August 2008

Jammin' With The State Fair Jam

I did not even place, BUT the judges said all the entries were wonderful and met standards. That meant a lot to me. I entered jam made from Spring crop and fall crop always has more flavor- so next year's will be from a fall crop batch AND with raw sugar instead of all white cane sugar (required by this year's sponsors, gah.).

I got great feed back from watching the competitions. I learned SO much. I also got the chance to explain to Lil'Bug all about "winning":
"Mama, you didn't win."

"Kiddo, yes I did. I may not have the blue ribbon BUT I tried my best, I met all of the requirements, I followed through with my plan and actually entered my jam, I watched the judging, I learned a lot about food canning, and now we get to eat the jam!"

She looked confused.

"Sometimes you get to be a winner because you have a good time and learn new things. You like having fun and learning new things?"

"Well, actually, I like crowns too."

I grinned. She thought I'd get a queen crown for winning the fair? LOL.

Also, I plan on making Christmas gifts from our fall crop. Hope you local mamas like raspberries! ;)

4 comments:

  1. A crown! :)

    This reminds me of when I was trying to teach Golfer that sometimes we play games to have fun, not to win. He said, "But it's only fun IF you win!" Gah.

    I love homade raspberry jam on homemade bread with fresh homemade butter. Oh yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny!
    What's a prize, if it doesn't come with a crown?!?
    sheesh!
    I think I'm with Her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It takes guts to enter, and planning. And sounds like fun. Way to go.

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.