Wednesday 24 October 2007

Update on Soap Nuts

Edited to add: Wikipedia's entry on soap nuts AND an article on soap nuts.....

Edited to add more: Here a link to the company I buy from.

The truth is that I was getting frustrated with the soap nuts so I switched to Method brand detergent. Then my husband's skin issue came back, painfully so. He asked why, why, why did I stop using the nuts. Well, 1) they didn't lather up the 3rd use like they do the 1st (supposed to get 3 wash loads from every sack) 2) that made it expensive 3) the bag kept breaking open in the wash and then I was picking nut bits out of the clothes or out of the dryer.

He didn't care. He wanted his skin back.

So I researched a cheaper nut source. I found a supplier in Illinois that sells a lb for 18$ plus 3$ in shipping. That's 150 nuts as apposed to 60 nuts. Way better deal if the quality is as good. It is. Bonus, they now sell on Amazon too! So, then, what about the other issues?

While searching for a different supplier I found a couple blogs and a couple product reviews. One said to brew the nuts in a tea and use that for shampoo. ?? Well, wouldn't that work to get a more consistent laundry detergent too? And eliminate the nut bits? Hmmm, yes.

And so......I brew with 4 cups of boiling water in a mason jar, 10 nuts. I use 1/2 cup of the "tea" for each load at the beginning of the week and 1/4 at the end when the concentration gets stronger. The mason jar should have a lid to prevent spilling, use as a pouring strainer for the nut bits, keep the cat/ flying bugs/ laundry lint out, and keep the mixture from going rancid. I don't make more because I don't use more than that in a week. I get 10 loads from 10 nuts or 150 loads from the lb bag. Excellent. I get the sudsing I needed, no bits, and my husband's skin back. :)

An added bonus is that I cut the cost of laundry. I only need one rinse cycle and dry time seems to be 1/2. We don't have to buy fabric softener or a separate wash for delicates and wools. No phosphate ground water contamination, so I can feel really good about the waste water not adding to water pollution.

Also, did you realize how many non auto related products have petroleum? Forget SUV's, our dependence on the stuff goes way deeper: cosmetics, lotions, plastics, soaps, shampoos, conditioners, hair product, detergents, air sprays, candles, Fells Naphtha, preservatives....my goodness, I am still surprised when I find yet another petroleum product. So many go on our skin, the most absorbent organ we have. I am certainly glad to eliminate one more from our use, since that is likely the basis of our family's allergic reaction.

I also get the label of "hippie" from my husband's friends. Fine. It's possible my friends think so too.... ;) If only I could grow my own nuts, then I'd be truly, truly deserving of that label.

7 comments:

  1. hmm I may have to give that a try. I resisted the temptation to try something new earlier this summer. But making the detergent we've been using is a little tedious sometimes.

    And I'm having to use more and more. Though I think that is related to a water softner-water quality issue here.

    Anyway thanks for the review its very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you are fast. I just hit publish! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of these before. What kind of nuts are they? This surprises me, because I get the "hippie" label all the time,lol.
    LB

    ReplyDelete
  4. I added links to information articles at the top!

    It's the Chinese Soap Berry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i hate to be tedious, but can you email me the type of container you use to store the boiled "tea" in (that you strain into the wash from as i'm a little confused there - easy i know) and a link to the amazon item you buy so that i may take a closer look at it? thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a 4 cup glass mason jar. The kind usually used for spaghetti sauce.

    Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Lullwater-Soap-Nuts-Maximum-Detergent/dp/B000VAP6ZS

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the added info, Mama P- I really cannot believe I didn't know about these! Both my kids are so very allergic to all laundry soaps- I may be ordering these soon.
    LB

    ReplyDelete