Monday 15 October 2007

Blogging Pregnancy

Dearest Husband pointed out that I am not really blogging this pregnancy much, as in I am not really writing about being pregnant. At first, I had the excuses: the people I know who do that eventually get really obnoxious and end each sentence with, "because I am pregnant."- but that is not true, it only annoyed me when we were trying and not pregnant, really I think its cute. Then, I said, we have too much going on right now and my students read my blog and NO ONE wants to know what and when I am vomiting.

But really, this blog is not a newspaper column or a business blog, it is a personal record of our family's life and right now the facts of when and what I am vomiting are very much a part of our daily life!

So here are my reflections on this pregnancy so far:
1) I am worried about different things this time. With Lil'Bug I was worried about family, being a new mom, my job, and finishing school. Now, done with school, job is not dependent on daycare, family issues are resolved, and I am a pretty good mom. Now I am worried about medical complications I know could happen, Lil'Bug's adjustment, moving, and pants that fit.

2) Vanilla ice cream with chocolate and caramel chunks (Cow Tracks) is THE BEST ice cream to use in a root beer float. Try it. Especially if you are pregnant. It is crazy delicious and the only dessert I have had in 7 weeks.

3) I am really tired. I wasn't with Lil'Bug but I think she is why I am tired this time. Last time I sat at a desk all day now I am chasing her. Also, I had been more of a caffeinated mom prior and absolutely no caffeine this time is really wreaking havoc on my energy level. Why absolutely? Anything with caffeine, aspartame, or hazelnut makes me vomit. I can smell aspartame from yards away. If I don't eat breakfast, vomiting is a sure thing. 50/50 chance if I eat something. Dearest Husband reminding me that lots of nausea is a good sign is obnoxious.

4) Lil'Bug is pretending she has a baby in her belly too and has started up again feeding her dolls "mommy milk" and carrying them in slings. I plan on ordering from Wallypop matching ring slings, one for her and one for me. I won't do that until the Spring though.

5) Last time I was wiggy about used baby things, now I am marking my calendar for the big baby rummage sales. We just sold 80% of our baby things in June. Gah. We'll need extra car seats and...you know what? I don't know what else. We didn't use 1/2 the stuff we had last time. Before the big sale on Saturday we will have a family talk about what is needed. Last time I had Pottery Barn visions floating through my head and now I am a bit more practical.

6) Last time I was set on using a doula, this time I'm not. I love doulas, I loved my doula, but this time I think that I will be just fine. It's early. I may change my mind. I'm going to try a VBAC but I have the same medical complications as last time and this time we know what that actually can mean in terms of scary medical things. I'm ok with another C-Sec, it is just not my first choice. I will also use a hospital facility (see above reference to scary medical things). I think that home births are awesome, but I hope that the community of women I belong to will support and understand my choice as I support theirs. My medical condition is part scaring from an adolescent abdominal surgery and part genetic abnormality (PCOS).

7) Breastfeeding. It took almost a month for Lil'Bug and I to learn how without aids. Most women I know quit when or if it was that hard for them. Not me. This time I know I can do it and I don't have to worry about pumping 3 hours a day. Goodness that sucked (30 minutes each session x 6). Yay for working at home!

That's it for now. If I don't get back to cleaning right now- my whole week with be thrown into chaos!

5 comments:

  1. I was wondering how you were doing, but didn't want to intrude. I totally support your hospital delivery choice, but then again, I would support a home birth choice, too. With my medical history, a home birth wasn't a choice for us. I think we discussed this. Hang in there and keep me updated. I'm off to the doctor again on Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are thinking of trying to vbac, I would definitely use a doula-and get in with the ICAN group. They are awesome support-especially after visits like I had Monday. You need all the support you can get. Methodist (your only choice as a vbac candidate) nurses are wonderful, but you still get a few stinkers who try to scare you into things that aren't necessary. And shop around if necessary-you are still early in the pregnancy for finding a doctor who will be supportive.
    As far as the baby things, I found that we really pared down this time. We were gifted so many gadgets and such with Liv, and our main expense this time was the diapers. We aren't even buying a crib. Just plan on co-sleeping/using pack nplay (leftover from Liv) and a vintage bassinet set beside our bed as an occasional break. Between breastfeeding and cloth diapers, things seem sooo much cheaper this time around. I also got pretty much all the baby clothing from garage sales. But then so did I with Liv. Anyway, don't feel obnoxious talking about being pregnant-stop and think how much of the population gets to experience this (no men at all!), and that you are only in this situation for nine months (God willing) at a time, a fixed number of times in your life. Enjoy and exploit it a little!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In order to ensure mother and childs health and happiness IMHO Ben and jerry Vermonty Python ice cream is an absolute must. chortle chortle...
    Breast feeding should go easier with the second one. Mt problem now is getting her off the breast, at 1 year-1 week, I've had enough!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i would love to hear your joys and worries - that's what a support system is for! glad to hear things are going well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, love, love that you blogged about this. I was wondering how that part of your life was going. Everyone is pregnant! It's a fun time. I love going "thru" things with friends. It reminds me of my pregnancy's as well.

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.