Tuesday 7 August 2007

August Storms

Tonight the sky is thundering, violent, the winds are warm and everything feels unsettled. I finished laundry, baked some failures, and worked on final grading.

Every year August brings some big change for us. In 2005, I quit my 40 hours a week job at a museum and became an adjunct professor; 2006 brought the end of my MA journey (ok, that was May but the tension didn't settle out of my neck until August); 2007: this year we are preparing to move while I have made a transition to even less teaching and even that is night and online. We are saying goodbye to the big Victorian house and greeting a simpler life.

This year Lil'Bug is experiencing the pain and growth of change too. While the storms are rolling in, she is working on a growth spurt (and a brain spurt), understanding the changes, and meeting new friends. She has her own room, new chores, and official lessons.

All of this is hard. Once school starts many of our friends go back to "school" and are less available during the week, but our days and our learning keep its course since we don't break for the seasons or the calendar. Everyone is talking about curriculum and plans, but I am looking forward to the less crowded museums and parks and the like. Lil'Bug has asked to learn more about many things and listed the things she would like to see and do: ride a real train, go back to the buffalo park and explore the grass maze, berry picking, more farm helping, and the apple orchard. She also wants to go camping, which we would do on a whim right now but it is so unbearably humid and hot right now. I also want to take her to the Children's museum, the Missisippi River Museum, and possibly to the Maytag cheese factory.

Yay fall!

8 comments:

  1. I also long for the days of empty museums, parks, and zoos. I am trying to get into my children's heads and find out what they want to learn this year. All I have so far is science and history with some art thrown in. That is vague at best. I want to camp, too, but not in this heat and humidity.

    Change is good...until it changes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true Heather K.

    I hope you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, also, never mind. I just accepted more course load so I am at full capacity again this semester. The extra is online but I like having the extra in the Fall and lighter in the Spring. I will manage the graded work better this semester! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mama P,
    How old is your sweet Little Bug? Love her hair in braids! Cute pic.
    LB

    ReplyDelete
  5. we visited the maytag cheese factory. very stale trip. locked in a room to watch a video on a 40 yo tv. no cows are milked there. we didn't get to go to the caves or anywhere on the processing floor. the other places are cool, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey thanks for the heads up about the Maytag factory. That is definitely off our list then. I might be able to get the Stam chocolatiers to tour us around their process. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why is this post suddenly getting tons of traffic?

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.