Wednesday 15 April 2009

Things and Stuff

I wrecked the brakes on our truck, something about leaving the emergency brake on and crystallizing the metal....la la la=$600. Crap. So I am vehicle-less this week while it is repaired and I somehow figure out what bills to delay so we can pay the bill. I thank God that all it will take is a little creative accounting and a mere week in delay for some utilities. 

I am also thanking God for wonderful friends. Today SugarCreek Mama Abby is coming to my rescue and taking me to Lacona to pay a bill that cannot be put off (propane). It's quite a road trip for her. Also, in our grief over sweet Mallory, we have also counted our blessings in friendships, family, and life. 

Today we planted carrots, radishes, spinach, eggplant, zucchini, chard, lettuce, three kinds of beets, and cilantro. Awesome. The peas have sprouted. 

Tomorrow I am skipping park day and will start raking out horse manure in the pumpkin field. Then we will plant pumpkins. I know it seems early, but we are a zone warmer than most of Iowa and the manure creates heat too. Mostly it is an experiment.

Over the weekend we planted two apple trees, two peaches, and two hazelnuts. Yesterday a catalogue arrived from Stark Bro's that listed a whole bunch of trees on my wish list at 1/2 price. I think we may be ordering another round. 

This week the bees will come out too. I am a little worried about them though, no activity and quite a few dead bees falling out of the base. I am praying for their health and well being. 

Baby ducks will arrive tonight. 4 sweet fuzzy baby ducks. 

Pictures to come later in the day when I find my connector cord for the camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.