Wednesday 22 April 2009

The Snake

So Lil'Bug and I decided to tromp down to the frog pond. We squeak around in the mud for a while, poke sticks in the water and generally explore the shore. I spot a pretty snail shell and ask Lil'Bug to reach down the hole and get it for me, then I spot this little critter.

Um. We back away and go get Daddy. I could not believe I had just asked my four year old to stick her hand down there. Then her face. What was I thinking?! Our county has something like 4 of the 5 poisonous snakes in Iowa and our property has all of the habitats. 

We hike back to the house quickly. 

Of course Dearest gets excited. I panicked a bit and might have blurted out that it could be a hibernaculum. Fine. I use big words when I get freaked out. I grab the camera, because this was an event I was going to blog, Dearest sticking his hand into a pit of snakes. Even just the one was scary enough.

And then......well, the peels of laughter rang far and wide. My snake.....

.....has legs. Meet the big, scary snake. A leopard frrrrrroooooogggggg. I am never going to live this down. 
Never.

Nope. Never.

Of course she had to kiss him to make sure he wasn't a prince.

He wasn't. But he has a cute belly.

Then she found a leech. Yuck. She had to hold that too. Fascinating creature. Lil'Bug that is.

4 comments:

  1. Hahaha! Good for you for being able to laugh about it...and thanks for providing all of us with a laugh too : D

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg - that's hilarious! he's so cute, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (LAUGHING) So funny!! But, we've all freaked out over something that wasn't really bad. But, around here some people (honey) use words with four letters when they're upset or startled. So, big words when you're freaked out are AWESOME!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will pick up a lot of creatures without thinking twice but I draw the line at leeches. Ugh. I had to peel too many of them off myself as a child. It still makes me shudder. Good for her for being brave.

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.