Sunday 5 April 2009

Our First Livestock: Chickens!

We really are beginning farmers. This is a milestone for us. We ordered chickens and the ones we ordered will arrive next week sometime, but what came yesterday was a rash, happy decision. GreenRanchingMom emailed me on facebook to call her right away and.... she soon after brought me ten Ameraucana chicks. Blue egg layers! 


My aunt raised Ameraucanas when I was growing up and they were mean chickens, but beautiful and elegant. Oh, how I loved those chickens. 

I love these chickens. I love that we are beginning farming. 

Baby chickens in my kitchen:

Chicken pot pie!

Funny story. As I was downloading these pictures the sequence with the chicks flashed by and was followed by pictures of the pot pies. Coincidence, but still. 

These pot pies were actually not that hard. I can do pie crust. The food processor takes all of the hard work out of it. I can stir ingredients in a pot. Basically the trick to the crust is using lard instead of shortening. 

That's right. Lard. As in pig fat. 

You know what bugs me sometimes? People who are hesitant to use so much butter so they use vegetable shortening, the kind of food product that has an indefinite shelf life and is actually rancid BEFORE you buy it but is so processed you'd never know it. They use THAT instead of butter, which is just beaten cream, plain old dairy cream. And those people freak out about using lard. Again, just natural animal fat. The recipe I was using said they tested lard, butter, and shortening and while the lard tasted and performed better they opted to recommend shortening and butter mixed because of lard's artery clogging reputation. I think that is stupid, so I used lard in this crust and I use it in any recipe that calls for shortening. I won't even buy shortening. Blech. 

Anyway, the inside of the pie was pretty easy too. Just fresh vegetables sauteed, chicken stock mixed with milk and flour, and cut up chicken. Pour that mix while its still bubbling into the pie crust and bake until golden. 

I'll look up the exact recipe in a bit.

5 comments:

  1. YEAH for the Farm!! I love the fact that you are excited about raising chickens, & in the next sentence, you are Eating chicken Pot Pie!!

    I TOTALLY agree about eating REAL things (lard) rather than processed un-natural things (shortening)!!
    They look yummy, & you make them sound so easy, it almost makes me want to try them. Let me know how they freeze.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't buy shortening either. It disgusts me. I use butter for just about everything, but should get lard sometime. I never remember to buy it when I'm at the store. Chicken pot pies are great to freeze too. We prepare them and then freeze and cook as needed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Congrats on the new chicks. We've never had a problem with Americaunas being mean, and I suspect with as much "hand-raising" as yours will get that you wont have a meanness problem.

    The pot pies are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely pictures. I am encouraged to try both the chics ~ and the pies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh so cute!! I want me some baby chicks. Hopefully someday...

    Love that second photo too. :)

    ~Tara

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.