Monday 6 April 2009

Cluster Flies, Apple Pies, and Podcasts....the bits of my thoughts.....

The last confirmation that it is a cluster fly infestation.... they are gone, done with the plague. Thank you!

They only infest from October to April. Now that April is here it looks like I can take a break from sweeping thousands of flies up every day. I mean geeze, it was really frustrating. 

*****

Apple pies. I have now made a wonderful milestone in pie making. Now that I have made the perfect apple pie more than three times (perfect to my standard at least), I am going to try some of the stranger recipes in my apple pie book. One is an apple and cheddar cheese pie another is a cream cheese pastry. I am nervous about it. 

*****

For my Science Fiction Literature class I am exploring new mediums and medias for the genre. Right now I am dabbling in podcasts and loving it. I even asked a friend for a recommendation and was delighted with the result. The two I have been streaming today are Escape Pod and StarShipSofa. I have been listening to find prime examples and appropriate stories to share with my students. 

I have always been unimpressed with Science Fiction from 1970-present. That's a long chunk of history to not find any literature in a genre I enjoy, but there is plenty pre-1970 to have kept me occupied. The problem with that is that I have never really been pushed to find anything from that era and the problem with that is that I need to teach that era fairly and cannot simply skip it or dismiss it. 

Happily I have found a treasure trove in the world of podcasts. 

*****

The other odd bits, I am really needing to change something in my appearance. Maybe a haircut, maybe a color. I just need to simplify yet again and I am rushed for time every morning. I ran out of Foil Hat soap and Amy has closed shop. I am checking out Prairieland Herbs.  

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE the soap and shampoo bars from PLH, and refuse to use anything else. Haven't found a single "flavor" that I didn't like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will not be disappointed with Pland H. We only use their stuff and have added many of their other products since we first started shopping there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want pie every time you blog about your crusts...

    :) Pam

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.