Tuesday 7 April 2009

Alaskan Pollock with Carrots and Leek

I am not a foodie. A mere ten years ago I gave my Dearest food poisoning that required an ER trip and caught the kitchen on fire IN THE SAME WEEK. 

I am much better now. I discovered that if I keep things simple and use quality, fresh ingredients it is hard to mess up. 

I cook mostly with cast iron skillets and dutch ovens. I don't own a gratin dish or any specialty dishes beyond my standard glass casserole 9 x 13 and a couple of bread and pie pans. I'll fancy up the fare for weekends and company, but typically a dish has to be simple and take less than 15 minutes of prepration. I have a 4 year old and a baby. I don't have time to play around in the kitchen. 

Tonight's dinner cost less than 4$ for 4 servings. Alaskan Pollock was on sale, 10 fillets for $4.25 and I split the package for two meals. Carrots and leeks were also pretty cheap.

Basically the most expensive part was the aluminum foil. Ha. 

So here it is:
4 frozen fillets of white fish
3 large carrots cut long and thin (like grass, but 1/4- 1/2 inch thick)
2 leeks cut long and thin (like grass)
4 pats of butter
lemon juice
salt and pepper (and granulated garlic if you like)
foil, 8 12 x 12 sheets. 

Lay out 4 foil sheets, top each with leeks and carrots, then lay a filet on top and squirt with lemon, finish with seasonings and butter. Lay foil on top and pinch the two sheets together around all 4 sides. 

Bake for 45 minutes at 425. 

Done. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Sounds lovely. Do the children like fish?

    Have you rtried any more fun things with your bread dough?

    Pamela

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.