Sunday 28 February 2010

Snowed.....

We have a lot of snow and to be perfectly honest I don't mind most of it. The snow in the driveway is what I have issue with. That snow sprained my ankle, iced and was responsible for 2 yucky falls, my truck with boom lift getting stuck, and then my car getting so stuck Dearest had to tie a chain to a tree across the road and wench it off of the ice berm created by the snow plowed off the road.


And when it all melts it will flood. It is predicted that most of Iowa will be under water if the melt happens too quickly. We're high enough up I think to not worry about our house and our road is an official detour during floods, but a lot of area around us is a flood plain and a marsh designated for the purpose of flood basin. The ground will be saturated for Spring planting. These things are all issues that will affect our farm.

So much snow. More on its way. Last year we maybe got 2 inches TOTAL accumulation. I could have swept the driveway with a corn broom. This year? I broke the 4WD going in and out of the freaking driveway. So all my cheery, "I "heart" the snow!" bit me in my cheery cheeks. Thanks karma. You know what? I still love the snow.


I love the view from our living room windows. I love tromping out in/through knee deep drifts to gather half a dozen eggs and feed my layers. I love the feel of the winter air on my face and the depth of the stars at night. I love that we can eat snow and not worry so much about auto pollution that the city snow came down and through. This winter has had its hardships, but that is life.

 
The drifts are ridiculous in some places. So are the plow banks. They had to bring a special machine onto our road to widen the lane and it made the banks even higher. It's like driving inside a giant snow maze.

 

1 comment:

  1. Love the pictures. Beautiful blue sky.

    Living in the country, you notice and appreciate the seasonal rythms. We've had flooding every year but this one, incredi-snow last year and then amazing garden season, no snow to speak of this year. Its all memorable, and different. Enjoy what you can ~ and its sounds like you are very good at that:)

    Pamela

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.