Saturday 6 February 2010

Dreaming of Greens

 

Last years garden was a mixed bag of success and failures. This year will likely be the same. I am drooling for some fresh spinach though and this week will attempt to make haybale cold frames just to be able to grow my own right now now now! :) 

I just spent a lovely evening working on various things with my lovely friend Abby from Sugar Creek. We've been expanding the Simply Food site and such with a yahoo group and message board soon to be unveiled. So exciting! 
Then we went through what seed packets I have left over from last year- I know I have more somewhere and I'll have to dig deeper tomorrow. Soon I will place our seed order. Very exciting stuff. 

I am more excited for our tree order. That will have to wait for income tax returns though. This winter has been rough and we have no extras to spend on anything, let alone my orchard. I am still praying that our Des Moines house sells so we can start really building the farm the way we want to. On that front I am giving a talk to a local group of rehabbers in March and hopefull that will get foot traffic through the house which hopefully will lead to the perfect person for the house walking through.....oh please God. 

So that's where I am at this lovely Saturday evening. Also preparing for the next wave of snow. 8 inches expected on Monday! Whoo hoo! The more snow we have the taller the summer grains will be, that's the old tale. :)

3 comments:

  1. Here's wishing you good luck with selling your house! We just had a realtor tell us he wouldn't list our house for more than $112,000 - $3000 less than we paid 3 1/2 years ago, and not even factoring in the $40,000 in remodeling, etc. I guess we'll be staying put a little longer and hoping the market turns around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seed packets and garden planning such fun! Have you thought about seed saving at all? Friends, including our beloved Needleroozer have introduced me to the concept of heirlooms and another in our garden group intorduced us to seed saving adn wintersowning in containers outside. She found a great group called Wintersown, great seed sharing for a modest dontation. I sent them $10 and got over 20 pakets of high quality seed.

    Looking forward to hearing more about your garden and farm adventures!

    Thanks for sharing

    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pictures of last years garden!

    I'm thinking of cabbage now....

    P:)

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.