Friday 12 February 2010

Doing the Right Thing is Hard

I have always tried to do the right thing, even when it broke my heart in two. I always put thought and consider as many factors as I can.

I also don't hide this from my girls. I talk them through what I struggle with. I think it is important for them to see the process and understand that there are facets and details in human relationships that are fragile but also that morals and family safety are important.

A couple weeks ago in Sunday school Lil'Bug had a rough time. Two of the little boys had crushes on her and were being teased by some older kids. The way they were displaying affection (and being teased) embarrassed her so much that she asked to come and get me. I quietly sat with her, but the teasing didn't really stop (the normal teacher was gone). The kids asked me to decide for her.

I responded that any person would be lucky to have Lil'Bug as a friend because she is smart, funny, and kind. I added that if they have serious marriage proposals that they needed to take it up with Lil'Bugs father and that I would be happy to go get him if they needed. Yes. That stopped that. We did mention the incident to their parents though.

Then the class got out crayons and paper. The crazy loud bunch started a ruckus about who could draw what animal pooping and who's poop was grosser. That did it for Lil'Bug.

She stood up and declared firmly, "I am going to draw Jesus. We are in church and this is Sunday school. I need to be thinking about JESUS." And with that she sat down and drew this:


From Left to right you'll see, "Jesus's parents crying, Jesus as a heart on the cross, a pond with fish jumping up to give him water and birds flying over head. Not pooping. Oh, and the sun which is hot." That is her description.

It is hard to take a stand and do what is right. The other kids were having a blast and no harm was done, but it still was not the best way to behave in church. She didn't point fingers. She stood firm, made her message clear, and then took action.

One of the kids noticed. He stopped and started drawing firetrucks instead. After class he said to Lil'Bug and me, "I really like you Lil'Bug. You are brave and cool."

Yes. She is brave and cool and amazing. I am lucky to be her mama.

Not every encounter with difficulty is handled so gracefully though. She got in a fight in art class and caused a major disruption. Her explanation was that the girl was a know it all bully and started yelling at her, but in a tricky way so only Lil'Bug got in trouble. As it turns out, this kid and Lil'Bug have history. LilBug decked her in the face two years ago for being a bully to one of Lil'Bug's friends. It is a proud family tradition to stand up to such people (on Dearest's side that is) but we've been working hard to teach Lil'Bug how to better handle such situations. I was thrilled that it was yelling! Not hitting and biting! This is wonderful!

I am still working with her how to even better handle such situations, so that, for example, the bully isn't able to trick the teacher into blaming Lil'Bug. And yes, I do believe her when she says that is what happened. I am also glad that she has a wonderful teacher, who was not in fact tricked at all. :) These things are hard.

Also booya to all those people who exclaim that kids need public school for socializtion experience like dealing with bullies. Seriously. Booya. (And yes I double checked urbandictionary to make sure that word means what I thought it did. Giggle.)

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like my youngest. Two kids were fighting over crayons instead of sharing, so she walked over, yelled at them and took all their crayons away. who did the religion teacher think should get in trouble? great. yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I'm suppose to be thinking about Jesus" and "serious marriage proposals can be presented to her father" made my heart smile. What a precious moment, amongst the challenges

    Thanks for sharing

    Pamela

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.