Friday 6 November 2009

Sad, and we're in Texas but Not at our Destniation

We traveled quickly to TX, carpooled with my dad to make the trip 1 day instead of 2. Shared driving. We had an interesting encounter with a Walmart in Arkansas, let's just say there was blood in the bathroom and I just hovered and went so I wouldn't wet myself. Back on the road through country with closed gas stations after midnight. Wonderful time until......we nailed a deer, I think it was a buck- seriously. Who needs deer season right? Ok. No cell signal, heavy fog, smashed up windshield. 12 miles to nearest town. 12 miles took 30 minutes.

So we're stuck in Henderson, TX. With a beloved family member dying 200 miles away and we need to be there. More importantly my dad needs to be there. We're going to try and sleep at this nice hotel, get a rental, find a State Farm Agent, and just make it work. I might just be in Texas for longer than the week I planned. Maybe all my online TX unschooler friends can come visit me? LOL. Goodnight and Godspeed.

6 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your dying family member and your troubles getting to them. I hope nobody, besides the deer, was hurt in your accident. Safe travels. My thoughts will be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Thanks for sharing. That makes me feel lucky I have never hit a deer on my way there. I am super paranoid about deer. I won't drive at night there unless it is an emergency....like your situation is, we have had to. :O(

    Hugs and I know it will be worth it when you see your aunt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. where in TX? I'm guessing you've already passed by my part in DFW. :)

    Godspeed on your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. KMDUFF- Our car is in Henderson, we're now in Galveston. Sigh. We will be headed back home via Dallas when the car is fixed. 7-10 days. Plus we might stay through the impending funeral. I would love to meet you guys IRL! We will try and stay overnight somewhere on our way home, Dallas was our point on our way here until we met the deer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about the deer! Oh I would love to go to Galveston and play at the beach, it would be so fun. I don't think it's possible right now but do email me when you are coming to Dallas and we could go to the park or letterboxing or something. :) If you head into Houston, the space museum is pretty fun.

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.