Wednesday 16 April 2008

Funny How Things Change

4 years ago I was planning and registering for Lil'Bugs baby shower. I registered for furniture, swings, portables, pack and plays, bedding, clothes, toys.........

I asked Dearest what he thought we should add and his response: diapers. In fact, he thought we should wipe the registry clean and register for nothing but diapers, millions of diapers. Bah, was my reply.

Last summer we sold all of the baby contraptions but for the one swing and an exersaucer. We gave away the crib (we co-sleep).

We don't really need all that stuff. Most of it got used for extra blankets and toy storage (we got rid of a lot of the extras of those as well....)

But this time I decided to start a registry anyway.... you guessed it, for diapers. Nothing but. Ok, that's not true, there's also a diaper pail, a pail liner, and some bibs. Heh. The difference is this time we registered for cloth diapers. I'm also trying to buy local, so it's a mixed registry. I picked mostly handmade products from a local WAHM, and it's all through an Internet store front run by another local WAHM. I hope it all works out and I don't end up hating cloth. I don't think I will.

It is certainly another step in the changes we have undergone as a family.

I don't think we are having a baby shower this time around either. I am undecided. I mean, we've only registered for diapers! However, Lil'Bug really wants to have a welcome baby party. I'm all for that, even considered having an after baby is born party BUT I feel uncomfortable with the tradition of passing the new baby around for all to hold. Once she's older, fine. I was like that with Lil'Bug too, the only exceptions were family and rarely very close friends. Even if people don't play pass the baby, lots of kids and people all together= germs a plenty and that's not good for new mama and baby. I've always held that the first month of the baby's life is precious family bonding time. So I am conflicted as to what to do. I need to decide soon, right?

6 comments:

  1. Oh yes, the diapers. We did that with my son. We got tons of diapers in all sizes. And they lasted for about 6 months. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did a welcome baby party for both kids. at 7 to 14 days (the first full weekend after baby was born/released). We didn't do pass the baby but had them in the bassinet for a peek show :D We also made it come and go to keep the flow of people slow and steady versus all at once.

    I personally have a wash/santize touch the baby (only if its okay) and then we don't mess with the baby anymore - policy. The kids chafed under it a bit with their cousin but aren't any worse for the wear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've considered that MamaB, BUT if I end up having a C-Section I'll be in no shape to entertain, for at least 6 weeks. I'm not sure waiting that long would be ok.

    Then there is Lil'Bug to consider, and having a before party is what she wants. A mother blessing type rite of passage for her as a big sister. Agh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've decided not to have a new baby celebration, because the new baby will get enough attention without a special celebration. Instead we are having a Congratulations! You're a Big Brother party after the baby comes home and inviting only family. This way K has a special time set aside just for him amidst all the new baby hullabaloo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. long before I had my babies, I always knew that I'd use cloth.
    People would scoff, and say "Yeah, right!"

    Well, we used cloth exclusively (the old fashioned kind) and was absolutely not a big deal.

    No worries.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I learned the hard way that some times it doesn't matter what plans you have or what you want. Some times life happens and your wishes and desires just don't amount to much anymore. Make plans, but try and stay flexible.

    I would have loved to have had a welcome to the world celebration for J, but the reality is that he can't be around people, yet.

    I agree with the passing the baby around thing. I have a strong mama bear instinct and I don't share my cubs easily.

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.