Monday 14 April 2008

Busy Weekend

This weekend we packed, sorted, and threw out things. We are preparing for an upcoming garage sale, but it is more than that.

I threw away things from my childhood that have meant a lot to me for 30 years. They were no longer sanitary to keep around and there was no real way to clean them. Why did I hang on to stuffed animals for so long? They reminded me of refuge in the storm of abuse. They reminded me of people who actually loved me. It was time to release the baggage of those things. My husband reminded me as I cried over it that I don't need cloth and button eyes to remember people who loved me, I have many other things including the fact that I survived and thrived despite what happened. Point taken.

As we were doing this, someone knocked on the door. It was the guy down the street who wants to buy our house and borrowed my thesis. I chatted with him for about 45 minutes, he still wants to buy our house. That's cool. Also, uplifting since I know he would care for it the way I do. That is important to me, even though I know that when/if we list with an agent I won't have a choice. I've just spent 10 years loving this place and I'll admit, I still do.

2 comments:

  1. Moving to the States from Germany was the perfect time for me to be done with my old life and get started with my new life. I was not going to have huge containers shipped for thousands of dollars. So I ended up packing 10 boxes to put in my brother's attic and left Germany with two suitcases. Over the years I went back to see what I wanted from those boxes... and each time I throw away some things and I bring some with me. :) I've lived in the States for 8 years. I figure at this rate I'll be done with those boxes in about 30 years or so. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey,

    I know that was hard but hopefully it was cathartic, too. My mom threw out many of my toys and didn't give me an opportunity to hang on to anything from my childhood. Not out off meanness or anything but still. I'm glad your husband was there to help you get through that. He seems like such a super guy!!

    evie

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.