Friday 17 January 2014

Instant Kid Friendly Oatmeal


Recipe:
Each Serving, 1/4 cup of Instant Oatmeal
1 Tablespoon of Sugar Spice

Sugar Spice Chocolate: 
2 cups of raw sugar
1/4 cup instant hot chocolate mix
optional, caramel chips

Sugar Spice Cinnamon:
2 cups of raw sugar
1 teaspoon of ground ginger
1 teaspoon of turmeric
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground lemon peel

Then I make as many little packets with the spice and instant oatmeal as I can. I got the little bags in the craft section of target to hold soup seasoning for our rice and bean mixes. They happen to hold just a little more than the instant oatmeal packets you can buy at the store in the cereal isle and they make a full kid size serving, which the store bought ones fall just short of. The price for a giant bag of the oatmeal was $2.50, the spice and sugar I used cost less than $2 too. I have half a bag left and this made 25 packets and three test servings.

Bonus, the chocolate ones taste like my Dad's Christmas no bake boil/drop cookies. Just like. Really. Holly gobbled it. So did Isaac. Lily was less impressed and says she likes old fashioned oatmeal better. It has yet to pass the Chad test which is....can Chad make it at 4 am before he's had coffee and will it make him sick? I think it will do fine, but I think he will prefer the spice over the chocolate. 

Gratuitous adorable kids eating chocolate oatmeal pictures:






No comments:

Post a Comment

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.