Thursday 2 January 2014

2014 Day 2: Struggles Mighty

I love the idea of resolutions. I love the idea of the hope and cheer and confidence that people have when they proclaim them. I often try too, and fail. Things like this do not work for me. My friend Natalie says that attaching the label of resolution to an important goal is like setting a laser beam on destruction and ruining it from day one....or something like that. Goodness, I do understand that.

I also understand the need to have a fresh start, a clean plate, a newly washed slate. For me it is like getting a new notebook and beginning something exciting. Just like that though, staring at the blank page can bring on panic and induce anxiety= writer's block!

Isaac and farming have both taught me that goals are attainable and that progress measured in inches is still progress. If I don't make a list, create a plan, then I have no map. Sometimes that is fun, other times it leaves me lost and frightened and the sun sets on opportunities I miss out for not being where I need to be on time.

Here are my goals for 2014, the things I would like to do.
  1. Travel for a week on my own or with friends, to Europe I hope (travel fund is growing, goal is almost met). 
  2. Get those things out of the draft drawer of doom and out into the world. See what happens.
  3. Write 5 new poems a week. They will be terrible, but practise is something I desperately need to get my feet under me. 10 years without poetry has been hard on me.
  4. Read more for fun.
  5. Learn to cook these things: roasting garlic in the oven, flan, and chocolate peanut butter cups. 
  6. Connect more with my friends, face to face. Nourish those friendships.
  7. Can enough salsa (learn how to use pressure canner without (unreasonable) fear). Enough is 100 pints or 50 quarts. Less if it isn't as tasty as store bought.
  8. Meet all the neighbours on our road. Schedule play dates with folks who have kids my kids ages.
  9. Plan a trip to see someone I love dearly who lives where it is warm.
  10. Connect more with people who publish.
  11. Row in the flat bottom boat once a week in good weather, while Lily fishes.
  12. Blog once a day, no matter what.
  13. Mail out 60 pieces. 60. That's a lot. 5 per month isn't a lot though, that is doable.
  14. Keep my hair dyed red or purple. I like how I look with bright hair. 
That's my list. That is what I will keep to. Our goal for the farm is a separate list, the homeschooling goals are too. Chad and I plan to finish the cook book together and publish it as an E-book.

What lovely things are you dreaming of friends?

2 comments:

  1. Love your list. I could never go back to store-bought salsa. I do use a pressure canner, but not for salsa. The recipe I use calls for a hot water bath. Poetry and writing is a wonderful balm for the soul! Good luck with this road map (see, I didn't use the word resolution).

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.