Friday 5 July 2013

5 Minute Easy Kid Lunch


This is the base of my easy kid lunch.

1 quart of meat broth. This one is chicken.
Add whatever scraps of unused frozen veggies are in the fridge. I had 1/4 a bag of broccoli, 1/4 bag of peas, and some carrots. Boil it up.
Add seasoning and salt.
Add whatever noodles are in the pantry. I like rice noodles.

If I add rice noodles, I'll call this ponyo noodles and add hard boiled eggs and ham slices.

If I add macaroni, I also melt some cheese into it

There are endless possibilities to use up odds and ends in the fridge and freezer. I have the kids help me pick out combinations and figure out what they think will taste good together. They chop, grate, and stir.

It still just takes 5-10 minutes from GO to table.

Sure it would be better to just make pizza bites or chicken goo nuggets, but yuck. Oh, I still sometimes whip out the pizza bites, don't get me wrong, but this is just so much better and encourages so many skills in the process. Good stuff, that.

And seriously, 5-10 minutes. Uses up scraps and leftovers. Nutritious. WIN!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.