Sunday 15 August 2010

The Zoo

I love Iowa. I love the heavy winters and I love the hot and humid summers. Crazy I know, but to me it is the best of both worlds. I get a wintry wonderland and picture perfect holiday and then I get the bone warming heat and humidity that really wakes me up.

Still, days like today are pretty awesome too. It was 80 ish and not humid, overcast and breezy. I took my girls to the zoo.


They were very sweet. Blueberry Girl LOVES frogs and seeing a blue frog made her whole day!

Lil'Bug struck up a conversation with the zoo staff feeding a salamander. She listed off all the frogs and toads she had caught, asked questions about the American Bullfrog in the exhibit and asked if he was intended for the Safari Grill menu. She was totally serious. She has her heart set on catching some bullfrogs and eating them. The staff member humored her and even imitated a bullfrog call for her and gave her hunting tips. Sweet.


Lil'Bug wanted me to take a picture of her smelling a flower. I played with my zoom lens and got this one picture. I am still trying to figure out how to make zoomed in pictures not fuzzy or blurry and I will NOT post blurry pictures!


See that look? Oh it was trouble. She ran out of the tube and into a puddle of mud. Threw her shoes and took off running. Through a crowd of rude stroller monsters who would not get out of the way for me to get to her. So I sent Lil'Bug after her for a tackle. Then the rude people scowled and murmured at my mad parenting skillz.


I just wanted to hide.

Sigh. The day at the zoo ended shortly after that. I could not repeat that particular parenting play again; being 26 weeks pregnant is starting to drain my energy. I knew that I had just enough in me to haul her over my shoulder and trek up the hill to the parking lot. So we did just that and went to the Iowa Reptile Rescue at the nearby mall. No big crowd, lots of hands on. Confined area. Nice way to end the outing.

Really it was a very good day with my girls. Aside from the great giggling escape, they were both excellent company and much discussion was had about frogs, turtles, and snakes.

When we got home Lil'Bug brought me this:

3 comments:

  1. We have a tree frog that climbs our large front window every night eating the bugs that are attracted to the light. I have a feeling your lil'bug would like it.

    Our indoor cats would love to make a meal of it and watch it intently every night.

    My kids are all grown now, but your post brought back wonderful memories of my kids when they were that age and the wonder they expressed.

    I've thought about commenting a couple of times but haven't. I live just about an hour northwest of you in Indianola on 3 acres we just bought this summer. No animals yet, but the chicken tractor is in in progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neat! I love "meeting" readers, especially fellow Iowans!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there Mama P ~ stroller monsters? Oh my! What a vision...good for you that you got thru it.

    Welcome Jen! Loved the sharing about your outdoor visitors and indoor cats. We have three kitties that are such fun to watch interact with the creatures on the "other side".

    Pam

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.