Thursday 5 August 2010

Fresh 10 minute Salsa

My life has been made simple just by knowing that food is made from ingredients. Knowing that, I can put those ingredients together to make things my family loves and consumes at an alarming rate: like salsa.

Last night I brought in our first harvest of tomatoes and peppers. Throw in some garlic, onion, a squirt of lemon juice and a sprinkle of spices...ta da! Salsa! So good, I ate half a pint right there. A small bowl full of garden bounty yielded 10 minutes of work and 3.5 pints. If I'd wanted to, I could have hot water canned these, but they won't last the week in our house. I swear my five year old drinks salsa right out of the jar when I am not looking. Salsa, the good kind that doesn't use HFCS, can cost us 3-4$ for a pint at the store. Plus it seems like I am always out of it. It's a good healthy food and I want to have it on hand whenever they want it!

Recipe:
an 8 cup bowl full of fresh picked tomatoes, wash, cut off flaws if there are any, and leave skins on
4-5 medium peppers (also medium hot)
4 cloves of garlic (harvested in June)
squirt of lemon juice
1 medium onion (about 3/4 a cup worth....do not add too much onion....)
Season to taste. (I used 2 teaspoons of paprika and 1.5 tablespoons of a chili mix that had cayenne, cilantro, cumin, and oregano.....)

I used my food processor and chopped one ingredient at a time to the right size, mixed in a bowl, and added seasoning slowly. Yum. 

So join us for simple lives Thursday!

6 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing this!! I am hoping to need it early next week!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ingredients in my garden are ripening now. Can't wait to start making salsa still warm from the sun! Thanks for sharing your recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! I love how simple this is. Thanks for linking in to Simple Lives Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures ~ thanks Mama P!
    Last year, I had a jar of fresh salsa in the fridge that I kept adding handfuls of ingredients to as the contents dropped down. Friends would come over, sit on the veranda, nosh chips and salsa. The bowl would get low, I'd wander out to the garden, gather a handful of tomatoes, maybe a pepper, squeeze some lime or lemon in, crack some pepper, maybe some sea salt, freshen the bowl and voila, our guests, along with us, were in heaven.
    I love tomato season!
    Cheers, and thanks for sharing.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want tomatoes!!!! Mine are taking forever to grow and I know I won't have the harvest that I did last year :( OH well, time to stock up at the farmers market :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having lived in New Mexico for years and now Indiana we grow as many chiles and tomatoes as we can squeeze in. Also onions, cilantro and garlic when we are somewhere long enough. But one thing we do is roast all our tomatoes and chiles on a grill using real wood charcoal and a chimney--no fluid! The beauty of salsa made with roasted peppers and tomatoes is divine. The smoky subtlety of our pizza sauce and paste makes it difficult now to eat just "regular" sauce.Give it a try. Roast the tomatoes long enought for the skin to crack, turn and let some of the skin burn a bit. No need to peel that off. Neither do we skin our jalepenos. Only green chiles and sweet peppers get skinned. Just to sneak this in: I just made a rhubarb pie and added one unroasted jalepeno-well chopped-with seeds to it. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.