Tuesday 15 December 2009

Rough at the Edges

This morning I felt rough at the egdes and a little sore. This last week has been a doozy. The snowpocolypse was not even the issue, though it shut down the big city to the north of us, our small town was still open and we only got 4-6 inches with not much drift. It was nice being stuck inside with my family.....

And then the pipes froze, the condenser hose on the upstairs furnace froze and leaked water into the kitchen, the fuse blew on the boiler, and the tankless hot water heater froze up. Of course these issues are pretty critical and more critical overnight. But I get girl duty overnight so Dearest was left to man the freezing things.....which led to some pretty awful grumpiness due to the cold and sleep deprivation. Everything is ok now that the wind isn't blowing -40, but we've been working on more weatherization none the less.

But wait there's more. The house animals needed to go to the vet. So I loaded them all up and took them. Of course I was acutely aware that Star Kitty and Hobbit had that awful allergic reaction to the vax last year so I told the new vet all about it. They gave Star Kitty benedryl and called it good, vax'd no problem. Until after hours when she started convulsing and foaming at the mouth. Dearest was in town for game night and I was on my own with a dying cat. I called the vet and she answered! She suggested a dose of children's benedryl, if I had any on hand. Did I? We don't really have much of that kind of thing on hand....for the kids at least. But I actually have some for me to use, children's at that. So I dosed the angry dying cat, and and hour later she was pupils dialated but calm. We made it through the night and now she's just grumpy and tired. Me too.

Oh and on the way back from the vet, my check engine light came on. I just got my car back from being fixed from deer damage!!!!!! Oh and a dog chewed through one of the seatbelts when I was trying to get them all inside one at a time. And then the traction control gave out. Nooooooooo.


I also burned my hands twice, once on the fireplace and once on a cast iron skillet (I thought my sweater sleeve was a good oven mitt but it seems that the sweater did not agree....) so now both hands are blistered or raw and yet I still have to do dished. I need to remember to pick up rubber dish gloves. Ouch.

I am out of hot chocolate. I went through a case.


The woodburning cookstove stove is a step closer to being installed, the lift is reserved, the lining is ordered. One step closer is good!

I am exhausted, but in a good way. Christmas is going to be here this year, a first for our family. I have a lot of cleaning to do and menu planning but it is exciting! The first Christmas at the farmhouse, whoo hoo!

7 comments:

  1. On the subject of the wood stove . . .we need to figure out a way to heat the basement above freezing once the boiler isn't cycling all the time so the pipes don't freeze up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about dropping a line from the hot water reserve into a radiator located in the basement? I am also concerned with my canned goods freezing and exploding. If they are OK there then so should be the pipes? No? Maybe the answer is fixing the foundation?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a good reason not to do a radiator in the basement, but it's complex. The short answer is, it would be expensive to do that safely because of the water pressure, the fact that it's at a different elevation, and the fact that it's placed in the house so I can't afford to make a mistake. canned goods are maintaining fine - that room is warm enough, probaby because it's under the warm room right now. I'm thinking this - http://www.bearmountaindesign.com/ essentially it just cycles the boiler at a schedule we define so the basement can stay warm enough regardless of the temp upstairs. We'll be able to adjust it so that it'll work for times when we run the fireplace a lot or just a little.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha-ha! You guys are cute chatting via blog! :)
    Sorry about your pipes, car, animals, hands... things should be getting better now - there's not much left to go wrong!
    Mmmm... a case of hot chocolate. I'll put that on my Christmas wish list - that we find a case of hot chocolate in a dumpster! :D
    Blessings!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, so what about a radiator not hooked up to the woodstove, but to the boiler? I'm not sure random cycling will heat it all up eanough to save our kitchen pipes. You know?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Case of hot chocolate? Local lady! Hot cocoa is as goes:
    1:1 ratio of sugar (maple syrup or honey) to chocolate (chips work fine)
    plus a milk

    So, put in like 1/3 c choco, 1/3 c sugar and 1 c milk. Heat to a simmer on the stovetop, stirring. Add 3 more cups of milk and stir till melted, blended and warm. Serve with massive amounts of marshmallows and never buy that boxed stuff again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. *thwok* That would be the sound of me thumping myself on the forehead. Duh! I could even make it with soy milk and my raw chocolate so it would be vegan. Thanks Abby for the reality check!
    Blessings!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.