Wednesday 30 December 2009

Farm Life Just Keeps on Going Even if I Fall on The Ice

So....I fell on the ice. I sprained my calve muscle. I thought it was broken. I heard the ice crack and thought it was my bone. I almost passed out from the pain (though Dearest says I was merely hyperventilating). I am so ashamed. I did not deal well with crisis or with pain. I was certain that my leg bone was shattered, I thought it was bend at a 90 degree angle (the muscle cramping made it feel like that and pulled my foot inward....). Still. Pain. As in, still I am in pain. Walking actually hurts less than sitting with it elevated, so I am walking it off so to say.

That said, we are also dealing with the joys of a 100 year old farmhouse. Water in the basement. A lot of water. Luckily it is an a room designed to catch a lot of water, unluckily the drain in that room seems to be clogged with sludge. Lucky again, we found a septic guy that is trustworthy AND will be here in the morning. Also, for all my friends who have followed the saga on facebook.....Dearest brought me up a bag of bacon so I don't have to worry about rigging a boat to fetch it. Mmmmm....bacon.

In other news I am making plans for spring. Big plans that involve more bacon, I mean, pigs. We raised 4 last year and had a waiting list for the pork. I am thinking we'll raise 6-8 this next year and never get bigger than that. The pigs are a side to compliment the orchard health (and make lard for divine pie crust) not our main goal for the farm. That said, pretty much all the projected pork is spoken for, but I will add a waiting list. Last fall, the waiting list was used almost immediately and I even took one new order. So cool. I am also excited about picking up cheese for me!....I mean whey for the pigs. I seriously love love love the micro dairy we get our whey from. The cheese is AMAZING (so is the owner, btw).

My plans for the orchard are two fold. I will plant 6 more trees, attend an apple grafting session at Seed Savers in Decorah, IA in April, and make contact with the one other (the only one?) organic apple orchard in central Iowa. I am ready to ask questions, but I will put off making variety decisions until after 2010. The 6 trees we'll plant this year will simply be what I would plant for my own use, not for market.  I also hope to get a graft or two from Chad's co-worker's tree that had the most amazing pie apples EVER. It is an old tree and may not have a lot of time left. Apples are not redwoods, they have a relatively short lifespan unfortunately.

Then there are the bees. This is the year that I will actually, after 8 years of wishing and yearning, become a beekeeper. More to come on that later I am sure.

The gardens this year will be bigger, but I plan on making smaller managed beds. Chad fall plowed and since he was using a tractor plow borrowed from a family at church, he expanded the beds to the West, doubling their size. I think I might still do a Spring bed in the small plot though, simply because it has full sun right until late May when the Oak and Walnut trees leaf out and then it is part/mostly shade. Perfect for peas, greens, and broccoli. My only hurdle there will be keeping the deer from eating all the peas to the ground again.

In the big bed, I will have some work to do with the grape vines so neglected last year, and the strawberries need to be weeded and straw laid down before they fruit. I also need to thin them in May so if you are local and interested in some plants let me know.

I also plan on doubling my dry bean crop. These were easy to grow and harvest and really delicious. No watering needed at the end since I was intending them for dry harvest. I experimented a bit with the last bucket brought in, they are not shelled and jarred, just still in their husk in the bucket. We'll see which do better.  The difference in flavour between my beans and store bought dry beans is amazing. I didn't expect that at all.

I also want to try pole beans so I'll have to figure out how to do that. We have a bunch of cattle panels not being used.....anyway, I also want to grow more cabbage and broccoli and try potatoes. Oh and brussels sprouts which are now a family favourite. I know now to water my tomatoes early even if the rain makes it looks like they don't need it or they seem to do fine when I forget. My 50 plants produced maybe, maybe 5 tomatoes. Ugh. The chickens destroyed those before I had a chance to harvest them. So frustrating. I also need to weed and mulch better. Or convince Dearest and/or the children that it is their "job" or duty or whatever to tend and weed and water the tomatoes and peppers. I'll be busy with my trees and bees. :)

I don't expect that we will have extra produce this summer, but we'll bring what we do have and eggs to park day. So it goes.

We start fiddle lessons next week. I am really excited to learn, as is Lil'Bug. I am so glad we found an instructor that just fits with us, you know? We should be picking up the instruments early next week, just rentals at first in case we hate it. 

Oh, and I plan on picking up the pen again. I mean more than just for blogging. More to come on that I am sure, but I have a light class load for this Spring and I might as well get some things out before planting begins. I have some ideas brewing, three different genres dabbled in drafts.....I'll need focus and to pick just one to complete. 

2010 is going to be a crazy busy wonderful year!


PS.....still praying that the Des Moines house would sell. Just found out it qualifies for NFC $$ so that's good. Hopefully that will make the difference for someone. Hopefully soon.

6 comments:

  1. I already had plans to buy and plant strawberries this year so just tell me when. I'd much prefer to buy from you then the store. I would also love info on buying some of your pork so that maybe I can be put on your waitin list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life is good ~ you are so totally blessed, and I LOVE hearing all about it.

    So sorry about your "paw", Not fun ~ sending you healing energy.

    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will gladly take some strawberry plants and if I'm in a position to do so, I'll even help you thin them. Tell me more about growing beans. I've only ever grown green beans.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love some of your strawberries, and it'd give us a chance to meet up for coffee sometime!
    I am also very interested to hear how your bean drying turns out. I'm well converted from canned to dry beans here, but I haven't tried drying my own. Do you get your seeds from sse?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do get my seeds from Iowa Seed Savers but also from Vermont Bean and Seed. I've been happy with both actually.

    Beans take up a LOT of space for not much product and they are soil intensive so they require rotation. That said, they were super easy. Plant, water, let dry on the vine, harvest. So far both the shelled and the left in husk are storing just fine. We did have a row that had not dried completely by the time we wanted to fall plow the soil, so I pulled them at the root and hung them on a clothes line. 3 days later they were ready to go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope your ankle is feeling better.

    I think it was a pretty poor year last year in some parts for tomatoes.

    We planted yellow wax beans last year and they did really well, so I plan on planting lots more this year, probably some green varieties as well. Thinking of trying pole beans too. My parents had great success with dried beans also, so I’m thinking those would be nice to try too. Beans, beans, beans are what it is going to be! Actually hoping to do more peas this year too, they did really well too, as did the greens, for how much shade we have around here, more than I’d like to admit! The greens reseeded themselves and I used greens until Dec. 6th!! But I did have to cover them when the frost hit, but we had a really unusually warm winter to start…well I guess it technically wasn’t winter… I did get a fall crop of greens/lettuce planted but they just didn’t grow as fast as I needed them too.

    It's fun to hear of your gardening plans! I think my husband thought I was a little nuts to get excited when the seed/plant catalogs came in the mail. But I’m not alone; both of my brothers (1 is a tree farmer and the other a horticulturist) get excited about that kind of stuff too. ;)

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.