Tuesday 2 December 2008

Septic What?

The idea was planted in my head that I might have to change laundry soap/toilet paper/cleaning products because of the farm's septic system.

Well, that snowballed into me researching septic systems and how they work which led to making a few calls which led to finding out that our new farm's system hasn't been inspected in a long time according to the regional health inspector.

Crap. (See, I can be funny.....)

So today, I am working on this problem.

And I also ask......what other things are commonplace, common knowledge to you farm folk that I might be missing? What other surprises are in store for me and mine?

4 comments:

  1. Did you pay an independent inspector of your choosing to walk through the house? Did you have the furnace, propane tank, electrical, etc. inspected? I know it is a little late for that now, but for safety reasons it is a good idea to have someone inspect everything.

    I wish you a smooth transition! It is good to keep your sense of humor.

    ~Heather ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry too much about the septic inspection. I believe all you need to do is turn a sample of the effluent water (water coming out at the end) in to the county. Right now they are just trying to get all the systems on record.
    And yes, you will need to watch your cleaning products...the key is no phosphates.
    For the dishwasher, we buy an eco-friendly detergent, for the washing machine and all other cleaners we make our own (better, cheaper, greener!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We did pay for an independent inspector, but he said they don't inspect septic systems and he pretty much told us (well, Dearest) everything we've encountered.

    The septic is working and not stinky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oo, any chance Bluegate can share that homemade detergent recipe?

    Pamela

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.