Sunday 7 September 2008

VERY Busy Week

This week and weekend has been a whirlwind of frenzied chaos, to an end, it will bring order to our home.

Basically, we have been working our behinds off finishing loose end projects around the house.

However, were are some highlights from last week:

Blueberry watching clouds while we picked MORE apples. Yes, more. :) Seriously, half my deep freeze is filled with sliced apples and I have another bushel to process. Applebutter on Tuesday. Yummers. The babe looks so serious with her cloud watching. She laughed and squeaked. Then she started singing. I've never heard or heard of a baby doing this, singing, but that's what it sounds like and she bursts into it when she's really happy. Very cool. Also, before I took the picture, Blueberry had stretched her little body and reached her tongue out to lick the half eaten apple left by Lil'Bug on the blanket. Her official first taste of food other than mama milk. The serious look may have actually been annoyance that I moved her away from the apple.

Lil'Bug got the hang of tree climbing this week. The child has no fear. None.


No fear + little balance/attention span= fall on to mama holding camera. Lil'Bug has been a ball of volitale, nervous energy and things have exploded in her wake. I don't blame her. Change is scary, but the worst part is the calm before the change happens.
Lil'Bug and Dearest enjoy the view of a friend's farm. She was so gracious to let us come and raid her trees. The day spent there was glorious, indeed.

We brought home TWO more bins full.

This is what I have left to process.

My work station. I have seriously clean hands and lovely lemon juice bleached fingernails.

This pie is made with lard crust. I will never ever, ever, ever go back to the other ways of pie crusts. 1. It was simple divine and flaky and 2. It was simple. Um, I mean, really really hard back breaking labor. Hours and hours of work in the kitchen, did you hear that Dearest? I realize you think otherwise, given that I was in the kitchen at 10 AM and the pies were done and cooling by 11Am BUT here's the thing. I bent time. It's stretchy like that. I only use my super power in times of dire need like finals writing (or now, grading), cleaning house (the entire house) in the 25 minutes before Realtor shows up, or pie baking. Each task requires 10 hours of labor. Really. I stretched time.

No, I will no abuse my power just to fold laundry and make beds. Emergencies only.

;)

4 comments:

  1. Wow those are lovely apples! I make my pie crusts with lard to. At the moment I'm working with my favorite pie crust recipe to make a wheat version. So far I'm still in that "ugly crust" stage but I'm hopeful!

    I can't believe how big blueberry is getting. What an adventuress Lil'Bug is getting in the tree :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You crack me up, Mama P. I wish *I* could bend time!
    I cannot believe how beautiful Blueberry looks with her shining blue eyes on that pretty blue blanket. She is really getting big!
    LB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh... I need pie!

    My darling's Mama and Grandma both make wonderful apple pies. We are off to the midwest (Wisconsin) to spend a week with them in a few days. Maybe we can get some "pie time" in:)

    Thanks for sharing,

    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  4. That pie looks fabulous! I'm hungry now! Also, is apple butter hard to make? Chris loves it but the orchard we buy it from is slightly pricey. I might have to try it...

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.