Thursday 25 September 2008

CSA Thoughts

Every CSA I've looked up today has a waiting list. More demand than product. Interesting.

The model just may work for us. Reading more about it between grading papers, baking pies, and tending to nursling and tot. If any one who reads here has a CSA or has a resource to share, please post it! I have a lot to ruminate on, but I an hungry for more data.

Dearest went out and walked the property today, came home tired and excited. We played at the park for 5 hours and came home tired and excited. Right now they are all sleeping soundly and it is not yet 8 pm. Wow.

Time to reflect in the quiet I guess. Or go grade papers. You know, whatever.

I had a conversation with a student today. It really amuses me (and saddens me too) to think about the irony of my unschooling home and life in contrast with my teaching Literature and Composition to college kids. The difference in my teaching approach (revision, ability ot correct exams for full points, lots of discussion, self directed topic study) really freaks some of them out. It would be easier for me to adapt the fail/pass model, much less work, but I like how teach. I would not like the other model, easier though it may be, it would make me unhappy. I didn't mortgage my brain to mechanically grade papers day and night, I did so to learn and relish in my discipline. The bonus is that now I get paid to pass on, day after day, more of my craft and knowledge. Lucky that I get to do so in my PJ's in my kitchen. Yay Interweb.

That actually speaks to the way we live as well. Some things we have chosen are harder than the way our mainstream peers do things, but we are happier for it. Yes, it would be easier to go buy a pie from Hy-Vee but it simply cannot compare to picking our own apples, hand rolling the lard crust dough, the smell of baking pie, and finally, cutting fork into that first delicious, warm, gooey bite. Easy as pie. God, I love apples!

And one last thought.....Zone 5, peaches. How can I possibly choose which varieties from Stark Bro's? I used to be limited to just the 3 cold hardy varieties and now just about every variety is doable! My head is about to explode with possibilities. Suggestions are welcome.

5 comments:

  1. I love Colorado type peaches. I never seem to get lucky with the large type. They always seem dry. good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had lots of fun today at the park! Your apple pie was awesome! See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lard-crust dough. Do you know I actually got into a multi-day argument one time with an internet acquaintance regarding whether you could still purchase lard? She did not believe me and claimed she'd even asked at her grocery store. I had to take a picture and send it to her.

    So now I'm always tickled to see other people talk about lard like it's just a normal part of life. Goodness, how could you make pie without lard??

    My first pie was a cherry pie made with cherries picked for free from my then-boss's house (the best/only good part of working at this particular place). My mom called me at least five times during the baking process to tell me I should just buy cherry pie filling. But, truly, the fresh cherries were SO MUCH BETTER.

    My goodness, sorry to be so talkative. I can't sleep this morning so I'm stalking other people's blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I missed something...... what's CSA stand for?

    LB

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey LB ~ I believe its Community Supported Agriculture, farms that you can "subscribe to" and get boxes of farm fresh produce while supporting our local farmers. We have many in our area.

    Now I'm hungry for good pie ~ this lovely blog once again has me thinking of the days when LB's children were small and she spoiled us with her baked lovelies!

    Create a great day,

    Pamela

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.