Sunday 11 January 2009

Things that are different....

Cluster flies. Does anyone else remember that Phish song, Farmhouse? Yeah those. "All we can do is swat them...." Bah.

The farmhouse has only one set of stairs going up. This is just different than what we are used to.

It is quiet here. Part of that is that the windows are new and awesome, but part of it is just winter and rural. We can still hear trains though. 

Hunting seasons. Saturday morning I was bathing the girls (about 6am, they wake up at 5am ish) and heard a very loud bang, like a door downstairs being slammed hard. It wasn't, it is muzzle loader season and there was a guy who fired a shot at doe in the pasture across the road. It just echoed funny. Muzzle loaders are loud. 

Getting mail from the mail box. Just different. I am used to it being right by the front door.

Groceries. The sign at the local grocery in the produce section said Organic BUT the selection under the sign was just produce but for a single bag of organic baby carrots. At this particular store most of the selection was the store brand and much of the things we usually buy just were not there. What was there was more expensive. 

When people find out we just moved here, many have said, "Why?" in a disgusted tone. I did not expect that. 

Trash service. Yeah. There is none. Trash is burned. So we will have to rethink what we consume to yet another degree. I don't intend to have a dump behind my house, nor does burning plastic sound all that great. So, yet again, changing further the way we live. 

Not having a dishwasher sucks, but not as much as flushing the toilets (which only lasted 3 days) with buckets did. Or not having hot water. Or not having a way to make food hot. So really, everything is great! Dearest fixed all of those issues last week. ;)

The Internet is not as fast with the satellite connection. I'm used to watching streaming videos and playing streaming radio. Can't do that now. I wanted to blame the lesser Mac but Dearest says its the Internet not the machine. We also have to free TV signal most of the time. We don't watch TV, but sometimes view shows on PBS with Lil'Bug. Yesterday I got a clear audio but the picture was still fuzzy. I think we will have to investigate the local library for DVD's of the shows she liked.

So that's it. Just different. Just busy. Just bliss.

9 comments:

  1. It will definitely be an adjustment but it sounds like you are enjoying yourselves.

    That is all that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you need fudge. If I see you Thursday, I'll give you some :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. keep the updates coming! hope all goes well this week in the new house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on surviving the stresses of moving! Sounds like you are keeping your sense of humor. Hopefully we'll see you all Thursday. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think we've ever met in real life, I live in Iowa City.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not on the IDEA list often although I do post on it sometimes. That must be where we have met. I know that is where I found the link to your blog.

    I think the last time I made it to an IDEA picnic was when they had one near Mount Vernon, years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you commented on my blog and I could find yours! Also glad that I can follow along with your journey as we plan and save for ours. It seems we have *much* in common. ;)

    ~Tara

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome again! I see where you're at now and understand why you may have heard a few stories, although I know the folks involved only by reputation. It's really great to have you in Lucas County (HyVee is kind of a downer down here, isn't it?)

    Frank
    (Lucas Countyan)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it likely your new house was built by L. Rex and Anna Bonnett, but precisely when I'd hesitate to guess. This originally was a part of the Lewis and Maria (Virgin) Bonnett farm --- they arrived in county in 1865.

    Lewis was a high-flyer, known widely for his livestock, especially sheep. He and his wife built a house considered more than adequate somewhere on this farm in 1886 that they called "The Pines." Whether it was on the site of the current house and what happened to the older house, I can't say.

    Maria Bonnett died in 1890; Lewis, in 1899. L. Rex was one of their five children.

    L. Rex and Anna had no children, but raised Gerald "Jerry" Wells, who for much of his life owned and at times lived on the section the house is located on (with the exception of 80 acres I think carved out of its northwest corner) and was responsible for the pond, etc. It is to one of Jerry's grandson, who lived for a time in the house, that the interesting stories you may have heard refer.

    Mary Ruth and I found Jerry's obit Monday and I believe she carded and filed in in the genealogical society library at the public library. You might want to take a look at that. I believe at least a granddaughter still lives in county and she might know something about the unseated built-in --- but I just can't remember who she is!

    There are similarities between your house and one of the old Penick houses in Chariton, built I'd guess at the same time but now largely ruined by careless conversion into apartments --- including a basement garage. The Bonnetts and the Penicks would have known each other so one might have provided some inspiration for the other, although the Penick house is larger. If interested, I can track down the address and a vintage photo of that house for you.

    Hope some of this helps.

    Frank

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.